on steps to take in response to Tropical Storm Henri
In response to Tropical Storm Henri, The Connecticut Insurance Department (CID) has put the proper protocols in place so that service to consumers and insurers alike proceed uninterrupted in the wake of the storm’s passing.
Now is the time to review your policy to better understand your coverage and deductibles, and if you haven’t already completed one, prepare a full home inventory for future use after a fire or catastrophe.
Once you file a claim and make a complaint with the Department, the CID will keep in touch with your insurer and help to expedite the claims process to help you recover your losses.
If you have suffered damage due to Tropical Storm Henri these are the steps to take immediately:
- Review the Post-Disaster Claims Guide.
- Take photos of the damage and remove personal property if your home cannot be secured. Do not dispose of property until an insurance adjuster has reviewed it for your claim.
- If you can still live in the home, talk with your agent about critical repairs that need to be made. Whether you make the repairs or hire someone, save the receipts for your claim.
- If you need to find other lodging, keep records of expenses and all receipts. Homeowners and renter’s insurance generally provide limited coverage for expenses such as meals, rent, utility installation and transportation.
Reporting Your Claim
- The Department has an online guide with tips on filing your storm related claim.
- Most insurance companies have a time requirement for filing a claim. The process will go faster if you can locate a copy of your policy and home inventory.
- Call the company. If you need help locating your company or agent, contact the Connecticut Insurance Department at 800-203-3447 or use our online contact options.
- You will be asked to list all items destroyed, damaged or missing. If you do not have a home inventory, begin making a list of items going room by room from memory and include as much detail as possible. Home Inventory checklist
- If your car is damaged while in your garage/carport, it is covered by your automobile policy—not your homeowners’ policy. If you are insured by two separate companies for these coverages, you must file a claim with both companies.
If you have difficulty reaching your insurer, have a claim dispute or have questions on any insurance-related topic you can reach us by:
- Ask a question or file a complaint online
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the Consumer Helpline at 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900.