Of Unlicensed ‘Health Plans’
The Connecticut Insurance Department, along with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) issued a warning to anyone considering a health care sharing ministries (HCSMs), discount plans, or risk-sharing plans to take the time to fully understand the coverage before they purchase. These offerings are not full-blown health plans, are not ACA compliant and do not fall under the jurisdiction of state or federal regulators. For a description of these plans, see the NAIC.
Insurance Commissioner Andrew N. Mais reminds consumers to always be cognizant how a health plan works before signing up. Consumers should shop around for a health plan that best suits their needs and budget.
“Consumers should research, prior to purchasing a plan, if it comes with protections required by Connecticut and/or federal law and is marketed by a licensed insurance carrier or licensed broker in Connecticut,” Commissioner Mais said.
Consumers are inundated with increased advertising and marketing for products that may not be health insurance, or are not approved or licensed in the state and may not have the required consumer protections. These products are being marketed on TV, the Internet and through social media and telemarketers.
“These so-called ‘health plans’ are marketing everywhere,” Mais said.
Anyone with questions can contact the Connecticut Insurance Department by email at email@example.com or by calling 860-297-3900.
- List of licensed carriers selling ACA-compliant plans in Connecticut.
- Access Health CT - the state health insurance exchange
- Find a licensed broker/agent
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ask a question or file a complaint online
- Call the Consumer Helpline at 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900.
- Sign up for e-alerts to get the latest news, warnings and rate changes that may affect your premium
- Download consumer FAQs on health, homeowner and auto coverage
- Use the Department’s Speakers Bureau for public events.
- Visit our Web site and follow the Department on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube