Fire service operational safety
The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) sponsors research to create safer operational environments for firefighters by increasing awareness about:
- Building construction during fires – research projects to create a safer operational environment for firefighters.
- Emergency incident rehabilitation – a manual describing the important topics related to emergency incident rehabilitation, including operational issues, human physiology and protective clothing.
- Firefighting techniques and tactics – research projects to improve techniques and tactics under a variety of conditions.
- Risk management capabilities – reports on how community hazards and resource commitments can impact line-of-duty firefighter casualties.
- Voice radio communications – an in-progress project to provide the fire service with a basic understanding of communications technology, including hardware, policies and procedures, and human resource issues.