Be Alert to Heat Stress
Attention Chiefs and Training Officers:
Provided for your use and guidance is a downloadable card prepared by the Department of Labor (Federal) on heat stress. Please use the information provided on the card and the following for guidance in developing and instituting a training safety policy:
1. Keep an eye on your students, especially with evolutions using full PPE, SCBA and live fire.
2. Advise your students that proper hydration begins at least two hours before the activity begins and continues during the activity.
3. Hydration should be with water or diluted sports drinks.
4. Have appropriate work/rest cycles as the heat index increase. The higher the heat index, the shorter the work cycle, the longer the rest cycle.
5. Keep an eye on your students. The most common training injury during the warmer months are heat related.