2019 Connecticut Fire Officer's Weekend
Applications must be submitted to the Connecticut Fire Academy by February 8, 2019.
Applications are now available for the 2019 Connecticut Fire Officer's Weekend at the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, Maryland April 5, 6 and 7, 2019. This weekend is a chance for Connecticut fire service personnel to experience the superior level of fire related education available at the National Fire Academy. Applicants have a choice of one of six classes, two of which have fire marshal credits available. Please review and download the attached flyer and application for information pertaining to available classes, your arrival at the NFA, as well as NFA policies. The cost of the weekend is $125.00 which includes a class, lodging and meals. Students are responsible to provide their own transportation to and from the National Fire Academy.
Follow these steps to complete your application and be ready for registration
- Applicants are requested to prioritize their class choices from 1-6, on the application, final class assignments are determined by officer rank and years in rank.
- The Weekend application must be completely filled out, signed by your department chief, and returned to the Connecticut Fire Academy registrar by Friday February 8, 2019.
- The National Fire Academy is no longer accepting applications with a Social Security number; you will be required to register for a Student Identification number online which will be used on the NFA application. If you registered for a student ID for a previous class you should continue to use that number.
- You will also be asked for your CFA student identification on the back of the application to keep your Connecticut Fire Academy transcript complete.
- In order to complete on-site registration at the National Fire Academy, and enter the National Emergency Training Center (NETC) campus, students are required to show photo identification.
- As of Oct. 10, 2015, you must have an identification card that meets REAL ID Act standards to enter campus without an escort.
- In Connecticut REAL ID Licenses or “Verified” licenses are an option when you renew your operator’s license. Your current license or ID card will be honored at airports and federal buildings until its expiration. In Connecticut renewals are done only 60 days in advance of the expiration date.
- If your license contains the statement “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION” you will have to provide one of the additional document listed below.
- A valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
- A valid, unexpired federal employee/military/veteran ID card.
- A valid, unexpired state-enhanced driver's license.
Applications for NFA courses that do not include a SID will not be processed.
To obtain a SID
1. Register at https://cdp.dhs.gov/femasid
2. Select "Register for a FEMA SID" in the center of the screen.
3. Follow the instructions to create your account.
4. You will receive an email with your SID. Save this number in a secure location. This number will be used for all National Fire Academy classes, now and in the future.
The Connecticut Fire Officer's Weekend agenda includes a Friday evening Memorial Service for Fallen Connecticut Firefighters at the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial, an orientation in J building auditorium followed by a social gathering in the Student Center. Saturday is a full day of classes with a barbecue in the evening. Classes run through mid-afternoon on Sunday prior to dismissal. The Connecticut Fire Officer's Weekend is not only a tremendous learning opportunity but also a great way to network with other fire personnel and instructors.