Bureau of Disability Determination Services
Disability Determination Services (DDS) is the state agency that determines the medical eligibility of Connecticut residents who have applied for cash benefits under the disability programs administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA). In accordance with Social Security rules and regulations, DDS determines eligibility for two disability programs:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Applying for Benefits
All applications must be submitted through the Social Security Administration. There are several ways to apply for benefits:
- Visit the SSA website at www.ssa.gov to apply online.
- Call or visit any Social Security office to schedule an appointment. You can locate the SSA field office closest to you via this link, https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp
- Contact SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
- If you think you may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or www.ssa.gov to file a claim or for more information.
- If you have already filed a disability claim with Social Security, you may contact DDS at 1-800-842-8320 about the processing of your claim.