Urban Green and Community Gardens Grant Program

(CGS Section 7-131d to 7-131k, inclusive)

Community Garden in New London
McDonald Street Community Garden, co-sponsored by New London FRESH
City of New London - UGCG Grant Recipient
The Department is not accepting applications for the Urban Green & Community Grant Program (UGCG).  Please check back for program updates.

The Department's Urban Green and Community Gardens Grant Program (UGCG) is available to distressed municipalities and provides funding assistance to develop or enhance urban green spaces for public enjoyment and/or environmental education.  Promotion of open space in an urban setting may include, but may not be limited to, the development of a community garden or reclaiming and enhancing existing open space for the public's use.  Grants are awarded to projects that demonstrate the highest ability to benefit urban communities in close proximity to population centers.

The UGCG is administered through the Department's Open Space and Watershed Land Acquisition (OSWA) Grant Program.

Grants under both UGCG and OSWA are based on the merits of the projects and the level of funding available.  Funding for these programs is derived from State bond funds and/or the Community Investment Act.

Grant Program Eligibility Requirements:
  • Applicants must be a municipality;
  • Projects must take place within the territorial limits of a “Distressed Municipality” (CGS Sec. 32-9p) or a “Targeted Investment Community” (CGS Sec. 32-70);
  • Projects must take place on publicly-owned land;
  • This is a match share reimbursement program.  Applicants must have funds available or funding sources available for 50% of the anticipated total project cost;
  • Projects must create, enhance, or restore a public urban community garden or green space;
  • Applicants must clearly show how the public will access and enjoy the project.  If public access is not clearly shown, the project will not be evaluated or awarded a grant;
  • Projects cannot be for commercial activities (i.e., use of property for sale of goods or productions of goods for sale that generate a profit) or for active recreation development (i.e., dog parks, turf athletic fields, washing facilities, bathrooms, indoor recreational facilities, swimming pools); and
  • Projects cannot take place on land that was acquired by eminent domain.

walkway flowers in containers

Willimantic Garden on The Bridge, co-sponsored by Windham Garden Club
Town of Windham - UGCG Grant Recipient

Additional Assistance  

Please first reference the answers to Frequently Asked Questions available at the top of this page.  If you have additional questions, please contact:

Jamie Sydoriak, Environmental Analyst
Email: Jamie.Sydoriak@ct.gov
Phone:  (860) 424-3143
Land Acquisition and Management Unit
Office of the Commissioner


 Content updated December 2023