Press Releases


Connecticut Businesses Selling THC-Infused Beverages Must Take Inventory on May 14, 2024

Businesses in possession of THC-infused beverages must take inventory on Tuesday, May 14, 2024, and pay $1 per container fee by June 14, 2024.

HARTFORD – All Connecticut businesses currently selling THC-infused beverages must take inventory of all products in their possession on May 14, 2024. A report of that inventory and a $1 per container fee are due to the Department of Consumer Protection by June 14, 2024.

The inventory and associated fee are being implemented as part of a new law recently passed by the Connecticut General Assembly.

“In addition to taking stock of the current inventory of THC-infused beverages available for sale in Connecticut, this new law prevents sales of THC-infused beverages to minors and takes other steps to protect public health and safety, while still allowing for the sale of certain products in package stores and cannabis retail establishments,” said DCP Commissioner Bryan T. Cafferelli. “Thank you to the legislature for their collaborative efforts to address this complex issue, as well as to the staff of the Department of Consumer Protection for their ongoing efforts to effectively implement this new legislation.”

THC-infused beverages are non-alcoholic drinks that contain THC. This might be displayed as “hemp-derived,” Delta-8, Delta-9, Delta-10, THCA, HHC or similar words. Businesses that are unsure whether they have a THC-infused beverage should contact their supplier.

The new law creates the following rules for selling THC-infused beverages:

  • Businesses in possession of previously-allowed THC-infused beverages may sell those products through June 30, 2024 only if they complete the required inventory and pay the appropriate fee.
  • After July 1, 2024, only licensed cannabis retailers and package store permittees may sell THC-infused beverages.
  • THC-infused beverages sold by package stores and cannabis retailers after October 1, 2024, may contain no more than 3 mg of THC per 12-ounce container. The law also implements other packaging and labeling standards.

The Department of Consumer Protection will continue to provide information in the coming weeks for businesses affected by this legislation, as well as new information for the general public as it becomes available.

Cannabis retail establishments, package store permittees, and many other businesses that hold credentials from the Department of Consumer Protection received communication Friday afternoon outlining the necessary steps to conduct an inventory and pay the associated fees.

Businesses that did not receive a communication from the Department of Consumer Protection should utilize the following steps to report THC-infused beverage inventory and pay the appropriate fees.

To sell your current stock of THC-infused beverages, you must:

  1. On May 14, 2024: Count the number of containers of THC-infused beverages you have in your possession. This includes all containers on the sales floor and in your storage space.

    Example: Four-pack of cans counts as four containers.

  2. By June 15, 2024: Report to the Department of Consumer Protection the number of individual containers you counted on May 14, 2024 and pay a $1 fee for each container reported in your count.
    • Package store permittees and cannabis retail establishments can file their report by logging into eLicense and using the “License Maintenance” function at the top of the screen.
    • All other businesses will be able to file their report and pay the related fee starting May 14, 2024 by logging into an existing account or creating a new eLicense account and filing a THC-Infused Beverage Report.

Adults who choose to consume cannabis or THC-infused beverages are reminded to do so responsibly, including storing cannabis products in their original packaging, locked up and out of reach of children and pets. Resources regarding responsible cannabis use, as well as information about addiction and health risks is available at

For more information about THC-infused beverages, visit

Liquor permittees with questions about the new law should contact

All other businesses with questions may contact the department at

Twitter: DCP on Twitter
Facebook: DCP on Facebook

Media Contact:
Kaitlyn Krasselt
(860) 713-6019 (office)
(860) 377-0246 (cell)