Food Safety Classes for Cottage Food Operators

Before you may apply for a cottage food license, you must complete an approved Food Handler course.  The Food Manager course is NOT required but is acceptable should you choose to take it.

Five (5) Approved Testing Organizations and Tests for Certified Food Protection Manager (formerly known as Qualified Food Operator):

1. ServSafe®/National Restaurant Association (NRA)

Phone: 1-800-765-2122


Exam Name: ServSafe Food Protection Manager Exam

175 West Jackson, Suite 1500

Chicago, IL 60604

2. National Registry of Food Safety Professionals/Environmental Health Testing

Phone: 1-800-446-0257



Exam Name: Certified Food Safety Manager Exam

6751 Forum Drive, Suite 220

Orlando, FL 32821


Phone: 1-888-360-8764


Website: or

Exam Name: Learn2Serve Food Protection Manager Certification Exam

6801 N. Capital of Texas Hwy., Suite 150

Austin, TX 78731

4. AboveTraining, Inc dba StateFoodSafety

Phone: 1-801-494-1416


Exam Name: StateFoodSafety Certified Food Protection Manager Exam

711 Timpanogos Pkwy Bldg M, Ste 3100

Orem, UT 84097

5. The Always Food Safe, LLC

Phone: 1-612-203-4872

Rev. 1/3/23


Exam name: Food Protection Manager Exam

899 Montreal Circle

St. Paul, MN 55102

Please note: Effective 4/1/22, Prometric is no longer offering the Certified Food Protection Manager exam. Those who passed the Prometric exam that was offered prior to this date are still acceptable to meet the regulatory requirement in Connecticut for being a Certified Food Protection Manager.

These are the only approved courses at this time. A copy of your certification must be provided at the time of your application.  If you have any questions, concerns, or clarifications, please contact us by emailing to