Commissioner Cardona Announces Dr. Chris Clouet Joins Agency as Special Advisor Supporting District Success
(Hartford, CT) - Education Commissioner Dr. Miguel A. Cardona is pleased to announce today that recently retired Shelton Superintendent Dr. Chris Clouet will join the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) as a special advisor to the Commissioner dedicated to stakeholder engagement and supporting the success of school districts. In this role, his work with districts will focus on providing greater access to technical support to promote system operational efficiency and district health in the areas of financial stability, positive climate and culture, equitable outcomes, effective board governance, transformative leadership, high quality instruction, and engaging content/curriculum.
As a superintendent of schools for the last two decades, Dr. Clouet has led diverse urban, suburban and rural districts throughout Connecticut and in New York. He brings extensive knowledge in implementing innovative programs that enhance and emphasize student achievement, the instructional core, and student voice as keys to district improvement and overall system success. Dr. Clouet’s international experience includes leading educator visits, research, and professional learning in various other countries. Fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, he began his classroom career in Bridgeport Public Schools as an elementary and secondary educator teaching bilingual, English as a Second Language (ESL), math, language arts, World Language and communications media as well as serving as an ESL instructor in the Adult Education program. More on Dr. Clouet’s professional background:
· Former Superintendent in Shelton, Westchester (NY), New London, and Thomaston.
· Principal and Vice Principal of Bristol Central and Manchester High Schools, respectively, as well as Director of Learning Resources & Technology/Curriculum Coordinator for Hamden Public Schools.
· Developed several inter-district Magnet Schools, Dual Language Programs; recognized as Connecticut Multicultural Educator of the Year.
· Served as an adjunct professor at Columbia University’s Teachers College and UConn’s NEAG School of Education.
· Chaired and served on several committees including the Connecticut Association of Public School Superintendents’ Innovation Committee; the state Joint Committee on Educational Technology; the State Curriculum Framework Committee on Information Technology; Eastern Connecticut Workforce Investment Board (as chair of STEM Council).
Dr. Clouet will begin at CSDE on March 2, 2020. On the hire of the special advisor, Commissioner Cardona said, “Dr. Clouet’s vast experience and interest in advancing the goals of the agency will support our ability to be responsive to districts as we work to continuously improve public education in the State of Connecticut. He is a welcome addition to an already powerful and committed team at our agency.”
- Twitter: CT State Department of Education Twitter
- Facebook: CT State Department of Education Facebook