CSDE Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) Hosts Final School Choice Fair of 2020-21 Application Season on January 11th
(HARTFORD) – The Connecticut State Department of Education’s (CSDE) Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) invites parents, grandparents and guardians of children entering Grades Pre-K through 12 to attend the final regional school choice information fair of the 2020-21 application season. During the event, prospective students and their families will be able to explore the many high-quality educational opportunities available within Greater Hartford by speaking with school choice representatives, staff and families that work at or attend a Hartford region magnet school or Open Choice Program.
Event: Winter Regional School Choice Fair for the 2020-21 application season hosted by CSDE RSCO and partners; will provide information for families with children entering Grades Pre-K through 12 about the wide array of school choice options available in the Greater Hartford region for Connecticut residents.
- Date: Saturday, January 11, 2020. Snowdate: Saturday, January 18, 2020.
- Time: 10:00am to 1:00pm.
- Location: Conard High School, 110 Beechwood Road, West Hartford CT 06107.
- CT Transit Bus: Saturday bus schedule and map for transportation departures and arrivals closet to Beechwood Road. See https://www.cttransit.com/sites/default/files/maps/route/h_64_map_0.pdf
- Parking: Enter through the schools Beechwood Road main entrance, parking is available on the left.
About RSCO 2020-21 Application Period:
- The 2020-21 school choice application period opened on November 1, 2019 and closes on Friday, January 31, 2020.
- Connecticut residents from Hartford and surrounding suburban areas may apply to approximately 50 available school choice options with specialized magnet themes.
- The Hartford Region Open Choice Program is another option on the school choice application:
- Students apply to attend a non-magnet public school outside of their hometown.
- Once enrolled, Hartford residents may attend a school in their Open Choice district through high school graduation.
- The largest numbers of available seats tend to be in transition grades, particularly Pre-K, Kindergarten, Grade 6 and Grade 9.
- RSCO partners include: the Capitol Region Education Council; Hartford Public Schools’ Host Magnet Program; the Hartford Region Open Choice Program; Goodwin College’s Riverside Magnet School and Connecticut River Academy; Bloomfield Public Schools’ Wintonbury Early Childhood Magnet School and Global Experience Magnet School and East Hartford Public Schools’ Connecticut IB Academy.
For families new to this experience, RSCO staff will be available at the Winter fair to answer questions. Families will also have the opportunity on-site to start an online school choice application for the 2020-21 school year. Applications are not first-come, first-serve; families are encouraged to make an informed decision by visiting open houses and schools during the school choice application period.
“While you and your family visit representatives from the schools and programs who are part of RSCO’s high-quality programming,” said Keith Norton, Chief Strategic Planning Officer for RSCO. “I encourage you to gather as much information as possible about school options that may best suit your child. Make an informed decision by asking questions and if you need assistance with your application this will be the last chance to start one on-site or attend one of the many application assistance sessions where staff can guide you.”
For more information on application assistance, school events, information sessions, open houses and to apply online, please visit RSCO’s Web site at http://www.choiceeducation.org. Call RSCO’s Parent Information Center at 860-713-6990 weekdays (excluding state holidays) between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. with questions.
2020-21 RSCO Events
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
Hartford Region Open Choice Program Information Session
111 Charter Oak Ave.
Hartford, CT 06106 Snow Date & Time: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- Twitter: CT State Department of Education Twitter
- Facebook: CT State Department of Education Facebook