CSDE Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) Hosts Opening Day School Choice Info Fair For 2019-20 Applicants
On November 3, First School Choice Fair of 2019-20 Application Season to Feature Programming for Grades Pre-K to 12; Fun for the Whole Family (Rain or Shine)
(HARTFORD) – The Connecticut State Department of Education’s (CSDE) Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) invites parents, grandparents and guardians of children entering Grades Pre-K through 12 to attend the first regional school choice information fair of the 2019-20 application season this Saturday. During the Opening Day event, prospective students and their families will be able to explore the many great educational opportunities available within Greater Hartford, speak with school choice representatives, staff and families that work at or attend a Hartford region magnet school or Open Choice Program, and join in the fun with face painting, special appearances by superheroes, crafts for children and student STEM demonstrations.
- Event: Opening Day Regional School Choice Fair for the 2019-20 application season hosted by CSDE RSCO and partners; will provide information for families with children entering Grades Pre-K through 12 about the wide array of school choice options available in the Greater Hartford region for Connecticut residents.
- Date: Saturday, November 3, 2018.
- Time: 10:00am to 1:00pm.
- Location: The University of Hartford Gengras Student Union building; 200 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford CT 06117.
- Parking: Enter through the main entrance of the University of Hartford’s parking lot. Parking is free and available in lots A, B and C.
About RSCO 2019-20 Application Period:
- The 2019-20 school choice application period opens Thursday, November 1, 2018 and closes on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
- Connecticut residents from Hartford and surrounding suburban areas may apply to approximately 50 available school choice options with specialized magnet themes.
- The Hartford Region Open Choice Program is another option on the school choice application:
- Students apply to attend a non-magnet public school outside of their hometown.
- Once enrolled, Hartford residents may attend a school in their Open Choice district through high school graduation.
- The largest numbers of available seats tend to be in transition grades, particularly Pre-K, Kindergarten, Grade 6 and Grade 9.
- RSCO partners include: the Capitol Region Education Council; Hartford Public Schools’ Host Magnet Program; the Hartford Region Open Choice Program; Goodwin College’s Riverside Magnet School and Connecticut River Academy; Bloomfield Public Schools’ Wintonbury Early Childhood Magnet School and Global Experience Magnet School; East Hartford Public Schools’ Connecticut IB Academy; and the Suffield Regional Agriscience Center.
For families new to this experience, RSCO staff will be available at the Opening Day fair to answer questions and there will be video monitors playing an overview of the school choice application process. Families will also have the opportunity to start an online school choice application for the 2019-20 school year. Applications are not first-come, first-serve; families are encouraged to make an informed decision by visiting open houses and schools during the school choice application period.
“While you and your family enjoy the fun activities, please visit the schools and programs who are part of RSCO’s high-quality programming,” said Glen Peterson, RSCO’s Division Director. “I encourage you to gather as much information as possible about school options that may best suit your child. Make an informed decision by asking questions and if you need assistance with your application, attend one of the many application assistance sessions where staff can guide you.”
For more information on school events, information sessions, open houses and to apply online, please visit RSCO’s Web site at http://www.choiceeducation.org. Call RSCO’s Parent Information Center at 860-713-6990 weekdays (excluding state holidays) between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. with questions.
2019-20 RSCO Events
Saturday, November 3, 2018
RSCO School Choice Fall Fair Opening Day
University of Hartford, Gengras Student Union
200 Bloomfield Ave.
Hartford, CT 06117
Snow Date & Time: Saturday, Nov.10 10a.m.–1p.m.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
CREC Passport to Excellence Magnet School Fair
176 Cumberland Ave.
Wethersfield, CT 06109
Snow Date & Time: Wednesday, January 30, 5:30-7:30 p.m
Saturday, January 26, 2019
RSCO School Choice Winter Fair
Conard High School
110 Beechwood Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
Snow Date & Time: Saturday, February 2, 2019 10 a.m.–1p.m.
Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Hartford Region Open Choice Program Information Session
111 Charter Oak Ave.
Hartford, CT 06106
Snow Date & Time: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Saturday, February 9, 2019
Hartford Public Schools 5th Annual Education EXPO
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Sport & Medical Sciences Academy
280 Huyshope Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Snow Date & Time: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1-4 p.m.
“The State of Connecticut Department of Education is committed to a policy of equal opportunity/affirmative action for all qualified persons. The Department of Education does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability (including, but not limited to, intellectual disability, past or present history of mental disorder, physical disability or learning disability), genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by Connecticut state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws. The Department of Education does not unlawfully discriminate in employment and licensing against qualified persons with a prior criminal conviction. Inquiries regarding the Department of Education's nondiscrimination policies should be directed to: Levy Gillespie, Equal Employment Opportunity Director/American with Disabilities Act Coordinator, State of Connecticut Department of Education, 25 Industrial Park Road, Middletown, CT 06457, 860-807-2101. Levy.Gillespie@ct.gov.”
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
- Twitter: CT State Department of Education Twitter
- Facebook: CT State Department of Education Facebook