A summary of the CEP application process is below. For detailed guidance, review CSDE Operational Memorandum No. 10-20: Annual Application Process for the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP).
Eligible local educational agencies (LEAs) that meet at least one of the following criteria must formally apply to participate in the CEP for school year 2020-21:
- LEAs/schools electing CEP participation for the first time;
- LEAs/schools in the mid-cycle of CEP participation that are requesting changes to their currently approved ISP;
- LEAs/schools currently in year four of their CEP cycle with an ISP greater than or equal to 40 percent, and would like to start a new four-year cycle;
- LEAs/schools currently in the fourth year of CEP participation with a new calculated ISP greater than or equal to 30 percent, but less than 40 percent (eligible for one “grace” year based on the ISP as of the LEA’s selected date between April 1, 2020, and June 1, 2020, in year 4 of the current four-year cycle). Note: LEAs and schools that reach the required 40 percent threshold as of April 1 of the grace year are eligible to begin a new four-year cycle in the following school year. LEAs and schools that do not meet the threshold as of April 1 of the grace year must return to standard counting and claiming or elect another special provision option, and must collect school meal applications, in the following school year.
LEAs that meet at least one of these criteria should contact their county consultant to discuss the CEP application process for school year 2020-21.
Due to the extenuating circumstances created by COVID-19 school closures, the school year 2020-21 application deadline for formal application for CEP participation (new or recalculating LEAs and schools) is extended to August 31, 2020 (instead of June 30, 2020). Eligible LEAs interested in CEP participation must follow the CSDE’s guidelines to formally apply for the CEP, and must submit all documentation to support ISP calculations from the same chosen date between April 1, 2020, through June 1, 2020. The CSDE will validate this data before finalizing and accepting any ISPs for claiming purposes for school year 2020-21.
- USDA COVID–19: Child Nutrition Response #6: Nationwide Waiver of Community Eligibility Provision Deadlines in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
The CEP application requires uploading the three required documents to the Connecticut Online Application and Claiming System for Child Nutrition Programs (CNP System). Note: Do not upload any application documents to the CNP System before contacting your county consultant for guidance.
For school year 2020-21, the USDA allows LEAs to choose one date anytime during the period from April 1, 2020, through June 1, 2020, to determine the three required CEP data elements for each site that operates the NSLP or SBP. All documents must draw data from the same chosen date. The three data elements include:
- CEP Participation Worksheets for 2020-21
- Master student enrollment file: This is the total enrollment from the LEA’s master enrollment file, which is the Excel document provided by the LEA’s central office Local Information System. Do not enter data from the food service point-of-sale data system. The file must include the following:
- school name;
- school facility code (assigned by the state Public School Information System (PSIS));
- student last name;
- student first name;
- student date of birth;
- student grade; and
- state assigned student identifier (SASID) number for students in public schools.
The CSDE cannot accept any other primary source data for enrollment when the LEA submits the CEP application documents to the CSDE. For detailed guidance on the master student enrollment file, see “Required Procedure for Developing the LEA’s Master Enrollment File” in CSDE Operational Memorandum No. 09-2020, Annual Notification Requirement for All Local Educational Agencies (LEAs): Community Eligibility Provision (CEP).
- CEP Identified Student List (Excel form)
Upon approval of these documents, the CSDE will generate and distribute the LEA's CEP ED 099 Addendum.
CEP Overview and Guidance
- Guidance for Uploading 2020-21 CEP Application Excel Files Coming soon
- Presentation: CEP: Go for the Gold! (February 1, 2018) (CSDE)