Eligible local educational agencies (LEAs) that are interested in CEP participation must follow the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) guidelines to formally apply for the CEP and must submit documentation to support Identified Student Percentage (ISP) calculations. The CSDE will validate this data before any ISPs are finalized and accepted for claiming purposes for the next school year. The only LEAs required to formally apply for the CEP for school year 2020-21 include:
- LEAs/schools electing CEP participation for the first time;
- LEAs/schools currently in year four of their CEP cycle;
- LEAs/schools in the mid-cycle of CEP participation that are requesting changes to their currently approved ISP; or
- LEAs/schools currently in the fourth year of CEP participation with an ISP greater than or equal to 30 percent but less than 40 percent (eligible for one “grace” year). Note: During a “grace” year, the percentage of meals reimbursed at the free rate will be based on the lower ISP, as determined using data from April 1, 2020. If the ISP calculated using data from April 1, 2021, is less than 40 percent, the LEA or school must return to standard counting and claiming, or to provision 2 or 3.
If a LEA meets one of the criteria above, please contact your county consultant to discuss the CEP application process for school year 2020-21.
The application deadline for CEP participation (for new or recalculating schools and LEAs) is June 30, 2020. All supportive ISP documentation (CEP Worksheets, total enrollment, and CEP Student Identification List) must also be submitted by that date.
CEP Application Documents
The three required CEP application documents include the CEP enrollment totals (master student enrollment file), the CEP Participation Worksheets, and the CEP Identified Student List. The LEA must upload these documents in the Connecticut Online Application and Claiming System for Child Nutrition Programs (CNP System). Please do not send any documents to the CSDE via e-mail. Note: Do not upload any application documents to the CNP System before contacting your county consultant for guidance. The application deadline to formally apply for CEP participation (new or recalculating schools and LEAs) is June 30, 2020.
- CEP enrollment totals
The LEA’s total enrollment (master file) from April 1, 2020, must be obtained only from the LEA’s central office Local Information System, and must be saved as an Excel document. The file must indicate that the data is from April 1, 2020, and must contain the following data elements:
- school name;
- student last name;
- student first name;
- student date of birth;
- student grade; and
- state assigned student identifier (SASID) number for students in public schools.
Note: The CSDE cannot accept any other primary source data for enrollment when the LEA submits the CEP application documents to the CSDE.
- CEP Participation Worksheets for 2020-21
- CEP Identified Student List (Excel form)
Upon approval of these documents, the CSDE will generate and distribute the LEA's CEP ED 099 Addendum.
- CSDE Operational Memorandum No. 10-20: Annual Application Process for the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
- Guidance for Uploading 2020-21 CEP Application Excel Files Coming soon
CEP Overview and Guidance
- CSDE CEP Presentation: Go for the Gold! (February 1, 2018)