English Learner Data Bulletin
Private/Non-Public Schools and English Learners
- New: Non-Regulatory Guidance: Fiscal Changes and Equitable Services Requirements under the ESEA of 1965, as Amended by the ESSA 11/21/16
- Letter regarding Local Education Agency (LEA) responsibilities, April 2012
- Sample letter to private/non-public schools, September 2012
- Title III, Part A - Equitable Services to Private School Students and Teachers, United States Department of Education, June 2009
- Title IX, Part E Uniform Provisions Subpart 1 - Private Schools, United States Department of Education, August 2005
Supporting Dual Language Learners in Early Learning Settings
- White House press release
- Federal policy statement
- Dual Language Learners Toolkit
- Meeting the Needs of Dual Language Learners
Handbooks and Resources
Demographic Trends of Connecticut’s English Learners (SY 2015-16 to 2019-20)
- New: The Coaching and Self-Reflection Tool for Competency in Teaching English Learners - Aligned to the Connecticut Common Core of Teaching Rubric for Effective Teaching 2016
- Scientific Research-Based Interventions for English Language Learners: A Handbook to Accompany Connecticut's Framework for RTI
- English Learners and Special Education: A Resource Handbook 2011
- Guidelines for Implementing Language Transition Support Services (LTSS) - 2002
- New: English Learners: General Information Slides Notes
- New: Dual Language Learners in Early Childhood Settings Slides Notes Handout
- EL Strategies Desk Cards (Tip Sheets for ALL Classroom Teachers)
Families and Educators
- Chapter 10: Ensuring Meaningful Communication with Limited English Proficient Parents
The English Learner Tool Kit helps state and local education agencies help English Learners by fulfilling legal obligations under civil rights laws.
- Connecticut English Language Proficiency (CELP) Standards Information for Parents, Families and Community Members
Provides information about the CELP standards and what they mean for students.
- English Learners Brochure [Arabic] [Mandarin Chinese] [English] [Haitian Creole] [Polish] [Portuguese] [Spanish]
Provides families with information about identification, eligibility, programing and parent participation.
- English Learners and State Assessments Brochure [Arabic] [Mandarin Chinese] [English] [Haitian Creole] [Polish] [Portuguese] [Spanish]
Provides information about supports available specifically for ELs on Connecticut state assessments.
- 4 Ways to Support your English Learner at Home Bookmark [Arabic] [Mandarin Chinese] [English] [Haitian Creole] [Polish] [Portuguese] [Spanish]
- Connecticut Family Guide to Supporting English Learners [English] [Spanish]
This guide provides families with information to support their children as they learn English, answers to frequently asked questions, web resources, and English language development Web sites.
United States Department of Education
- New: U.S. Department of Education English Learner Resources
- Dear Colleague Letter: Student Enrollment Practices (5/8/14)
- Dear Colleague Letter: OCR/DOJ Letter on Common Civil Rights Issues Pertaining to ELs, Dually Identified Students and Communicating with Parents (1/7/15)
- Office of English Language Acquisition Homepage
- English Learner Toolkit
- CCSSO English Learners with Disabilities Guide (11/17)
- Education Commission of the States
- Identifying and Supporting English Learner Students with Learning Disabilities: Key Issues in the Literature and State Practice
- Institute of Education Sciences Regional Education Laboratories (REL)
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition
- REL-NEI ELL Alliance
- REL Northeast and Islands
- REL northwest for EL articles and research studies
- Time to Reclassification: How Long Does It Take English Language Learners in the Washington Road Map School Districts To Develop English Proficiency?
- Understanding Language Initiative