Out-of-State Special Service Providers


Step 1
Complete the online application or paper-based ED 170 application.
Step 2

Official transcript(s) with the degree and conferral date noted on the transcript can be mailed to the Bureau of Certification, or electronic transcripts can be sent to the Bureau of Certification directly from the university to teacher.etranscript@ct.gov.

Please note: The submission of an official undergraduate transcript is required for all applications. School Social Workers do not need to submit steps 3 and 4.

Step 3

Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution (ED 125) form must be completed and signed by the Certification Officer/Dean/Designee. This form is mandatory for all recent graduates and for educators who have less than 20 months of successful service in the last ten years under a valid out-of-state certificate.

Step 4

A Statement of Professional Experience (ED 126) must be completed and signed by the Superintendent or Executive Director, if applicable.

  • Completion of at least 20 school months of successful service with in the last 10 years, under a valid out-of-state certificate is required to be eligible for a Provisional level certificate. If you do not have 20 months of service, please do not submit an ED 126.
Step 5

Submit the online application and payment by credit card or mail the paper-based application and payment, as well as the Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution (ED 125) form, the Statement of Professional Experience (ED 126) form, official transcript(s), and copies of out-of-state certificates, to address noted on the top of the forms.

Step 6

Speech and Language Pathologists only- submit a copy of your Connecticut Health License.


Standard processing of certification applications is 6-8 weeks, and 10-12 weeks during peak months, from the original date of submission.

Please note: The cost of the nonrefundable application review fee is $50. Once the Bureau of Certification has determined your eligibility for certification, you will be billed separately for your certificate. You may pay your fee balance online or mail your payment to the Bureau. The money order, cashier’s check or certified bank check is made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.” Personal checks cannot be accepted.

Copied, scanned or email versions of forms requiring original signatures will NOT be accepted. Original versions of forms with original signatures can only be accepted.

**Due to the large volume of e-transcripts the Bureau receives daily, the e-transcript may expire before the Bureau is able to download and scan it into your file. If possible, please submit a paper-based official transcript in the sealed envelope to the Bureau for review.**