Child Support

Non-Custodial Parent

There are generally three parties in a child support case: the child(ren), the custodial party and the non-custodial parent. The custodial party is the person/parent who lives with the child and has primary responsibility for care of the child(ren).  The non-custodial parent is often the other legal parent(s). When a child is in the custody of another family member or in foster care, there may be multiple non-custodial parents.  Regardless of their living arrangement or relationship, both parents should provide financial support for the child(ren).

Parents have a responsibility to financially support their children and obtaining child support is important to the well-being of children. The Connecticut Department of Social Services (DSS), Office of Child Support Services (OCSS) can assist in obtaining a child support order and receiving child support payments. If a person does not already receive child support, the parent, guardian, legal custodian, or person with whom the child(ren) lives can contact DSS/OCSS for assistance in obtaining an order for child support and health care coverage for the child(ren.)

The DSS/ Office of Child Support Services can also assist non-custodial parents (NCP) with establishing parentage, establishing a child support order, how to make payments and how an order will be enforced. NCPs may contact a local DSS office for more information regarding this process.

For the Non-Custodial Parent application, please follow this link:  Application for Non-Custodial Parent