Despite Tuesday's storm, DRS employees are answering emails and phone calls, and completing other essential agency functions. If you have a question about state taxes administered by DRS, email ( or call us (860-297-5962) during regular business hours. Phone wait times are minimal.

Walk-in services at all DRS branch office locations remain suspended.

Email the Priority One Taxpayer Assistance Program:

Please check our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Ruling 89-241, Utility Exemption - Residential

This Ruling is superseded by PS 94(3)

The Department considers apartment buildings, nursing homes, congregate housing facilities and halfway houses to be "residential" and therefore exempt from the sales tax imposed on the sale of gas, electricity and heating fuel.

Hospitals, hotels and motels are not considered to be residential by the Department.


November 27, 1989