Most H1N1 cases will be able to be treated at home

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE          Connecticut Department of Public Health

May 4, 2009                                           Contact: William Gerrish

                                                               (860) 509-7270



Hartford The Department of Public Health (DPH) has identified a new probable case of novel H1N1 flu (swine flu).  The specimen received indicates that the person has non-subtypeable Influenza A, which means that the virus is not regular seasonal influenza.  The specimen is being forwarded to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to determine if the virus is novel H1N1 flu. 


The new probable case involves a child, a resident of Granby.  This case brings the total number of probable or confirmed cases of novel H1N1 flu in Connecticut to fourteen (two cases confirmed, one inconclusive, and 11 probable).  All cases are recovering and did not require hospitalization. 


“Tests conducted by our laboratory show that in addition to the new H1N1 viral strain there is still seasonal flu in Connecticut,” stated DPH Commissioner Dr. J. Robert Galvin. “The most effective ways to protect yourself and others from H1N1 and seasonal flu are by staying home if you’re sick, coughing or sneezing into your sleeve or a tissue, and washing your hands frequently with soap and water.”


To date, the Public Health Laboratory has tested 313 samples from Connecticut residents.  Of those, 259 tested negative for Influenza A, 40 tested positive for seasonal flu, and 14 were unsubtypeables. 


The DPH continues to ask residents to take precautions to prevent getting the flu or spreading it by staying home from work or school if they are sick, washing their hands frequently, and coughing or sneezing into their sleeve or a tissue. 


For more information on swine flu:


The Connecticut Department of Public Health is the state’s leader in public health policy and advocacy with a mission to protect and promote the health and safety of the people of our state.  To contact the department, please visit its website at or call (860) 509-7270.