Preventing Fatal Opioid Overdoses
Naloxone, often referred to by the brand name Narcan®, is a prescription medication used in the event of an opioid overdose. If given quickly, it can help reverse the effects of the overdose and save the person’s life. If you or a loved one is struggling with opioid addiction, it is important to have naloxone on hand in case of an overdose. To get naloxone, you can either go to your primary care provider or visit a pharmacy with a pharmacist certified to prescribe and dispense it.
Overdose Prevention Resources
- NORA (Naloxone + Overdose Response App)
- Find a Naloxone Prescribing Pharmacy (Map)
- Naloxone (Narcan) Initiative - Opioid Overdose Prevention
- Heroin Overdose – Medlineplus.gov
- Naloxone Injection – MedlinePlus.gov
- Opioid Intoxication – MedlinePlus.gov
- "Using Naloxone to Reverse an Opioid Overdose"