Patient at Connecticut Valley Hospital Tests Positive for COVID-19
Middletown, CT – The Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) informed the public today that a patient at Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH) has tested positive for COVID-19.
“My thoughts are with this patient and their family; I wish them a quick and full recovery” said DMHAS Commissioner Miriam Delphin-Rittmon. “We continue to remain vigilant in maintaining an environment that is healthy and safe. Hospital staff are dedicated to caring for the physical and mental health of our patients and to providing the highest quality of care through this public health crisis.”
The individual who tested positive is a patient in the General Psychiatry Division of CVH. The patient’s family has been notified.
DMHAS has taken significant steps to protect clients and staff from COVID-19 throughout the DMHAS system. These include:
- Adjusting outpatient services while promoting social distancing including telephone check-ins and closing wellness centers and social clubs;
- Restricting visitors from DMHAS facilities;
- Conducting health screenings of all individuals who enter DMHAS facilities, including staff and clients;
- Approving over 900 employees for telework to promote social distancing and minimize exposure to clients and staff at DMHAS facilities; and,
- Directing staff who are symptomatic or have been in close contact with individuals suspected of or having COVID-19 to stay home and self-quarantine to prevent infecting clients and other staff.
Pursuant to Connecticut state law Chapters 368 and 899 pertaining to patients in psychiatric facilities, and other state and federal privacy laws, no additional information about the patient is available.
Connecticut Valley Hospital is an inpatient mental health and substance use disorder treatment facility operated by DMHAS with 209 psychiatric beds and 110 substance use treatment beds at the Middletown campus. An additional 42 substance use treatment beds are located on CVH’s Blue Hills campus in Hartford. Over 3,000 individuals received treatment through CVH in 2019.
(860) 418-6967 (office)
(860) 558-0024 (cell)