Mission Statement: Connecticut Valley Hospital provides trauma informed gender responsive treatment that empowers individuals to manage recovery, improve quality of life and return to the community.
CVH opened in 1868 as the State’s public hospital for the treatment of persons with mental illness. Throughout its history, it has experienced the multitude of medical, social and political changes affecting such facilities. In 1995, the Governor and General Assembly through a statewide restructuring of services for persons with psychological and addiction disabilities called for a renewed commitment to specialized treatment at CVH by expanding community options for patients and staff while closing two other hospitals and consolidating inpatient services here. The hospital became the amalgamation of four formerly freestanding psychiatric hospitals, four freestanding substance use disorder treatment facilities, and one maximum security hospital. Then in 2010, the former Cedarcrest Regional Hospital (with 2 campuses – Cedar Ridge campus in Newington and Blue Hills campus in Hartford) consolidated services with CVH. On May 1, 2018, the Whiting Forensic Division of CVH separated, creating two separate hospitals; Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH) and Whiting Forensic Hospital (WFH). Today, CVH is comprised of 17 inpatient units over two campuses (Middletown and Hartford).
One of the major tenets of recovery is that individuals are responsible for their own lives and therefore are responsible agents in their own recovery. Individuals have a real chance at reclaiming full and productive lives if they are given access to treatments, services, and programs vital to recovery.
These programs and services have been designed based on determination of individuals' need, in accordance with the
Almost all of the programs offered today have a statewide constituency and most patients are admitted upon referral and evaluation for admission.