Resources for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
During emergency situations, having up-to-date information, optimized for all communities is potentially life-saving. The following resources are designed to assist the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communities in Connecticut prepare for and recover from emergency situations.
The State of Connecticut offers a variety of alerting platforms that are optimized for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communities, these include the following:
CT Alert Notification System: CT Alert is an enrollment based notification system that is used to notify the public of impending emergency situations. The public may enroll in this notification system by clicking here. Those enrolling can opt-in to receive SMS/text alerts to their cellular phones.
- CT Prepares Web Application: The CT Prepares app can be downloaded on both Apple and Android based smartphones. CT Prepares provides information and alerts during emergency situations and incorporates and integrates text messaging, email, and social networking, allowing residents to communicate with family members during an emergency. Users will receive real-time text based notifications including emergency news, state office closings, and public safety messages.
Before a Disaster
- Sign-Language Preparedness Video from the Connecticut Department of Public Health
- American Red Cross- Preparing to Go to an Emergency Shelter
- Building a Go Kit
- Specific Disaster Preparedness Tips:
During a Disaster
After a Disaster
- Tips on How to Return Home Safely after a Disaster
- Registering for Disaster Assistance
- Cleaning Up After a Disaster
- Cleaning up Mold Safely
- Beware of Scams