Footprint Casting Mining
Footprint Casting At Dinosaur State Park
The casting area contains real dinosaur footprints. It is open daily from May 1 to October 31 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There is no fee to use this area but park guests must bring their own materials.
For each cast you will need:
- 10 pounds of Plaster-of-Paris (no substitutions)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Five gallon bucket
- Cloth rags and paper towels
The park provides:
- Eubrontes tracks
- Metal rings
The entire process takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Clear off the Eubrontes Track and metal ring with broom and rags. DO NOT USE WATER.
- Oil the track and ring with your hands.
- Center ring on the track and wrap rags around the outside of the ring.
- Measure three (3) quarts of water (3/4 of one gallon jug); Pour into the bucket.
- Add the ten pounds of Plaster-of-Paris to the water.
- Stir the plaster mixture quickly with your hands until it is smooth and has the consistency of cake batter.
- Immediately pour the mixture into the prepared ring.
- When the cast is hard, carefully remove the rags and the ring. Then remove the cast from the rock.
We ask that you make only one cast per family or group.
We do not recommend casting during inclement weather.
Please call the park at (860) 529-5816 if you have any questions.
Mining For Gems and Fossils
An outdoor mining sluice is available for "mining" gems and fossils. Purchase bags of mining rough from the bookshop (additional fee applies; $5.50 - $9.00 plus tax per bag). The mining sluice can accommodate approximately 6 individuals at one time, and "mining" each bag takes about 10 minutes. Bags may be shared by up to 3-4 people.
The sluice is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm, May 1 through October 31, except during rainy weather.
State Parks Contact Information
400 West Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
(Toll Free in CT)