The CT Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program (C.G.S., Sec. 10-416c) establishes a 25% tax credit on the Qualified Rehabilitation Expenditures associated with the rehabilitation of a Certified Historic Structure. (Qualified rehabilitation expenditures are hard costs associated with the rehabilitation; site improvements and non-construction costs are excluded.)
The structure must be rehabilitated in a manner consistent with the historic character of such property and have a post-rehabilitation use of one of the following:
- residential use of five units or more;
- mixed residential and nonresidential use; or
The credit increases to 30% if the project is located within a federally designated opportunity zone or the project includes an affordable housing component, provided at least 20% of the rental units or 10% of for-sale units qualify under C.G.S., Section 8-39a.
The program makes $31.7 million in tax credit reservations available each fiscal year. The per-project cap is up to $4.5 million in tax credits.
You may combine state tax credits with the 20% Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credits provided the project qualifies under federal law as a substantial rehabilitation of depreciable property as defined by the Internal Revenue Service.Check out the answers to some frequently asked questions here.
- Buildings must be listed on the National or State Register of Historic Places, either individually or as part of a historic district.
- All work must comply with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.
- Tax credit vouchers are issued after completion of rehabilitation work or, in phased projects, completion of rehabilitation work to an identifiable portion of the building placed in service (see Appendix B for instructions on phased projects).
- Tax credits are available for the tax year in which the building or, in phased projects, an identifiable portion of the building is placed in service.
- Tax credits can only be used by C corporations with tax liability under Chapters 207 through 212 of the C.G.S.
For more information about the program, review the program guidelines here.
Please review the application instructions before completing each application. Applications are .PDF forms. To download, follow the instructions below. Microsoft Word documents are available upon request.
- Part 1 Application Form ITC-300: Determination of Historic Structure Status
- Part 2 Application Form ITC-300a: Request for Approval of Proposed Rehabilitation Plan
- Part 3 Application Form ITC-300b: Request for Preliminary Certification and Reservation of Tax Credits
- Part 4 Application Form ITC-300c: Request for Final Certification of Completed Rehabilitation
- Part 5 Application Form ITC-300d: Request for Issuance of Tax Credit Voucher
- Amendment Form ITC-300e
To download the applications, you must follow these instructions to download the forms successfully, including downloading them from this message:
1. DO NOT open the forms in a browser tab or window
2. DOWNLOAD the forms and SAVE them to your computer. To download and save, right click on the link and choose "Save Link As..."
3. Open Adobe Acrobat Reader
4. Open the forms in Reader
Julie Carmelich at (860) 500-2362 or email@example.com.