This program provides a tax abatement for businesses that meet the qualifying requirements in an airport development zone.
Key Incentives for Businesses
For qualifying businesses:
a five-year, 80% property tax abatement.
A variety of businesses may be eligible for these incentives, including but not limited to the following:
- manufacturer, process or assemble raw materials or parts;
- perform manufacturing-related research and development; or
- significantly service, overhaul or rebuild industrial machinery and equipment;
- warehouse and transport freight (as long as the business is dependent on goods shipped by air);
- provide business services, including information technology services, directly related to airport operations.
These programs are designed to encourage capital improvements to land and/or buildings, businesses must be prepared to either renovate an existing facility by investing at least 50% of its pre-acquisition value in the renovation, OR construct a new facility, OR expand an existing facility, OR acquire a facility that has been idle (minimum period of idleness depends on average number of employees).
Note: if the applicant is leasing this qualifying facility, the lease must be for at least five years with the option at that point to either 1) renew the lease for an aggregate term of not less than 10 years or 2) buy the facility.
The three approved Airport Development Zones include the following:
Bradly International Airport (BDL)
Groton-New London (KGON)
Waterbury-Oxford Airport (KOXC)
How to Apply
- Prior to starting any project, the business must first submit a Preliminary Questionnaire through the local economic development office for the town.
- The Preliminary Questionnaire will be reviewed by the municipality and forwarded to the DECD. If the business, the facility, and the project all meet the initial prequalifying eligibility requirements, then DECD will provide the formal application with instructions on how to proceed.
- The application — along with all required documents — must be submitted to the Department of Economic and Community Development prior to October 1 of the year in which the project will be completed.
If approved, DECD will issue a Certificate of Eligibility.
Bradley International Airport (BDL)
Gary M. Haynes
Director of Community Development
Town of East Granby
East Granby Town Hall
9 Center Street, P.O. Box 1858
East Granby, CT 06026
Fax: 860- 653-4017
Town of Suffield
230 C Mountain Road
Suffield, CT 06078
Fax: 860- 668-3327
Economic Development Director
Town of Windsor
275 Broad Street
Windsor, CT 06095
Fax: 860- 285-1809
Director of Planning and Development
Economic & Industry Development Commission
50 Church Street
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Groton – New London Airport (KGON)
Economic and Community Development Manager
Office of Planning and Development Services
Town of Groton
Town Planning & Development
134 Groton Long Point Road
Town of Groton, CT 06340
Economic Development Coordinator
Office of Development and Planning
City of New London
181 State Street
New London, CT 06320
Waterbury – Oxford Airport (KOXC)
Terrence S. McAuliffe
Economic Development Commission
Town of Middlebury
1212 Wittemore Road
Middlebury, CT 06762
* (with an economic relationship to the Oxford Airport, since a portion of the town is located in the ADZ)
Jeffrey P. Luff
Economic Development Director
Town of Oxford
S.B. Church Memorial Town Hall
486 Oxford Road
Oxford, CT 06478-1298
203-888-2543 ext. 3028
Waterbury Development Corp.
83 Bank Street, 3rd Floor
Waterbury, CT 06072
203-346-2607, ext. 7287
Fax: 203- 346-3910