OverviewThis zone designation provides a tax abatement for businesses that meet the qualifying requirements in an airport development zone.
Key Incentives for Businesses
For qualifying businesses:
- a five-year 80% abatement of local property taxes on qualifying real estate and personal property (machinery and equipment)—the investment must be new to the municipality’s Grand List as a direct result of a business expansion and/or renovation, and
- other benefits as stipulated in the Connecticut General Statutes.
Statutory ReferenceCGS Sec. 32-75d.
Eligibility A variety of businesses may be eligible for these incentives, including but not limited to the following:
- manufacturer, process or assemble raw materials or parts;
- perform manufacturing-related research and development; or
- significantly service, overhaul or rebuild industrial machinery and equipment;
- warehouse and transport freight (as long as the business is dependent on goods shipped by air);
- provide business services, including information technology services, directly related to airport operations.
- Bradly International Airport (BDL)
- Groton-New London Airport (KGON)
- Waterbury-Oxford Airport (KOXC)
How to Apply
For businesses seeking tax incentives and other benefits: Across all cities and towns that are approved by the DECD to participate in the Enterprise Zone program:
- Before starting any project, the business must first submit a formal request through the local economic development office of the municipality in order to obtain a Preliminary Questionnaire.
- If pre-qualified, the business would receive from the DECD a formal application and an invitation to apply.
- The business submits a complete application with required documentation to the DECD prior to October 1 of the year in which the project will be completed.
- If approved, DECD would issue a Certificate of Eligibility.
To view the designated municipal Enterprise Zone coordinators for this zone type, please refer to the Contact section.