OverviewThe Department of Economic and Community Development (“DECD”) is undertaking a competitive grant application process to fund multiple projects under the CT Communities Challenge Grant Program in an effort to improve livability, vibrancy, convenience and equity of communities throughout the state. The Program is intended to potentially create approximately 3,000 new jobs. It is DECD’s goal to allocate up to 50% of the funds to eligible and competitive projects in distressed municipalities. Successful projects will likely include multiple of the below elements:
- Transit-oriented development that densifies commercial and/or residential land uses near transit hubs,
- Downtown / major hub development that improves or reuses existing property (Brownfields remediation may be a component of such application)
- Essential infrastructure that facilitates future development
- Housing to support affordability, accessibility and local workforce,
- Mobility improvements that increase connectivity to transit and promotes economic activity, including pedestrian, ADA, and bicycle improvements
- Public space improvements that provide amenities to the community, including open spaces, public art projects, wayfinding, and lighting and safety improvements
Other projects that can demonstrate livability, vibrancy, convenience and equity of communities throughout the state are also eligible, provided it is shown that there are no other dedicated funds for these projects under other currently offered state or federal programs. DECD invites municipalities, economic development agencies and regional council of governments to apply for the grant program. DECD encourages public-private partnerships. Eligible entities are welcome to partner with one or more private developers, business organizations, other institutions or each other, to submit an Application.
For examples of successful projects from Round 1, please see Governor Lamont's April 6, 2022 announcement of awardees.
Grant Size: $1M to $10M per project.
News & Announcements:
NEW: The Round 2 Application Form is now available!
A recording of our 7/21/22 webinar providing an overview of the Round 2 application process is available here.
Materials (Round 2):
- Round 2 Notice of Funding Availability (August 1, 2022)
- Round 2 Application Form (August 1, 2022)
- Round 2 Application Form - updated formatting for Adobe Acrobat (September 15, 2022)
- Round 2 Frequently Asked Questions (August 8, 2022)
- Municipal Certification of Eligibility for Discretionary State Funding
- Program Overview Webinar Slides (August 3, 2022)
Schedule (Round 2):
- DECD will begin accepting Round 2 applications on Monday, August 1, 2022.
- The application deadline is Friday, October 7, 2022.
- Awardees will be announced in December 2022 (tentative).
Municipalities, economic development agencies and regional councils of governments are eligible to be the primary applicants for this Program. DECD encourages public-private partnerships. Eligible entities are welcome to partner with one or more of the following types of organizations: private developers, business organizations, other institutions or each other to submit an Application.
Questions regarding the Application should be addressed to CTCommunitiesChallenge@ct.gov. Any clarification or supplemental information will be added to this webpage.
Sign up for the Mailing List to receive any notifications on this Program.