Search Department of Developmental Services Filtered Topic Search
State of CT logo
DDS Logo
Employee Handbook


If you are in a non-managerial classification, your job classification is assigned to a particular salary grade, which is the same for all positions within that classification. New non-managerial employees normally start on the first step and progress each year on their anniversary date to the next step by maintaining a satisfactory work record. This progression is called the "annual increment." The anniversary date for all employees (except managers) hired after June 30, 1977 is January 1. New employees who start work between January 1 and June 30 will be eligible for an annual increment the following January. New employees who start work between July 1 and December 31 will be eligible for an annual increment a year from the following January.

In addition to annual increments employees periodically receive a collective bargaining increase (CBI) based on the terms of their particular collective bargaining agreement. Employees exempt from collective bargaining receive such increases as authorized by the Department of Administrative Services (DAS) and the Office of Policy and Management (OPM).

Pay Periods are bi-weekly beginning on a Friday and ending two weeks later on a Thursday. Your attendance and time off is reported on a bi-weekly Time and Attendance sheet that is submitted at the end of the payroll period to your supervisor. The paycheck for a particular pay period is issued two weeks following the close of that period. New employees who start work the Friday beginning a pay period will receive their first paycheck four (4) weeks from their starting date.

Paychecks are normally distributed after 3:00 PM on Thursday the close of a pay period. Your paycheck contains both your regular and overtime pay minus any optional or mandatory deductions. Federal and State withholding taxes, FICA (Social Security), and Union Dues/Agency Fees are examples of mandatory deductions. Optional deductions may include group life insurance, deferred compensation, charitable donations, credit union, and other elected and authorized payments.

Direct deposit of the net (after deductions) amount of your payroll check to your Bank, Savings Institution or Credit Union is available to all Department employees. Direct deposit enables an employee to have his/her paycheck deposited automatically in his/her own personal bank account, without having to personally take it to the bank. Instead of receiving an actual paycheck, the employee receives a statement showing the deductions, and also a deposit "advice" indicating the amount deposited to his/her own bank account. Monies so deposited are available for withdrawal by the employee after 9:00AM on payday. Employees interested in direct deposit must fill out Form CO-1040 and return it to their local Human Resources office.


Our employees may work a variety of schedules, per established work shifts. Employees assigned to units requiring twenty-four (24) hour coverage, may be assigned schedules that include weekend and holiday work. From time to time and consistent with the terms of the applicable collective bargaining agreement, it may be necessary to temporarily or permanently change your work schedule to meet the needs of your work unit. In such a situation you will be given as much notice as possible, at a minimum that required by your specific collective bargaining agreement. Regardless of your work schedule, you are expected to arrive at work on time, return from lunch on time, and not leave your job prior to quitting time.

Rest & Meal Breaks

In general, full time employees are granted two (2) fifteen minute rest breaks and an unpaid meal break per shift. Breaks for part time employees are dependent upon your schedule, work location and assignment. Breaks can only be taken with your supervisors' knowledge and permission and may not be "saved up" to leave work early. Breaks may be delayed or cancelled due to emergency conditions or other high priority work, which would be impractical to stop.

Employees providing direct care services commonly have meals with the individuals they support and are not provided with an unpaid meal break. Please consult your supervisor, your local human resources office and your collective bargaining agreement for those conditions that apply to your specific assignment.


Overtime is time worked beyond an employee's standard workweek. All overtime work, except that involving emergencies, must receive prior management approval. Employees may be directed to work overtime as needed, and it is the employee's responsibility to comply with these directions.

Payment for overtime work is made in accordance with bargaining unit contracts. Eligibility for overtime pay is governed by your collective bargaining agreement and also by the provisions of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which applies to all public employees except for the following:

  • elected officials and their personal staff members
  • individuals employed in a bona fide executive, administrative or professional capacity
  • seasonal employees

Collective bargaining agreements designate certain classifications as exempt from eligibility for overtime pay. Individuals in classifications so exempted are entitled to receive compensatory time in lieu of overtime pay on an hour for hour basis. Consult your specific collective bargaining agreement for information on the accumulation and use of compensatory time.


Any employee working or intending to work for more than one DDS region or state agency, must follow the Dual Employment process.  A dual employment request form must be completed, approved in advance, and kept on file for each employee.  Separate time records and benefits will be maintained for each job. If you request approval for dual employment your supervisor and human resources office will review the dual employment work schedule with you to confirm that no situation will be created in which you may be paid twice for the same hours worked, as well as to ensure there is no overlap of hours or potential for duplicate payment.  A new, revised form must be completed if there is any significant change in schedule or job responsibilities at either the primary or secondary facility.  It is the responsibility of the employee holding or intending to hold more than one state position to inform both their local Human Resources office and their secondary State employer of their particular circumstances on a timely basis.


As a new employee, you will be required to satisfactorily complete an Initial Working Test Period, usually a period of six (6) months.  For part time employees the length of that working test period is based upon hours worked as opposed to a specified calendar period.  During this time your supervisor will familiarize you with your new duties and evaluate your job skills and performance.  Failure to satisfactorily complete the initial working test period will result in termination of employment.

You must also serve a probationary period each time you receive a promotion to a different job classification. This is called a Promotional Working Test Period and is generally four to six months in duration, depending on your labor contract.  During this period your supervisor will evaluate your ability to perform the new job.  If your performance is satisfactory, you will gain permanent status in the new job.


Performance appraisals, also known as Service Ratings, are used to evaluate an employee's overall job performance.  You will receive a performance appraisal during your initial working test period and during any working test period following a promotion.  In addition, you will receive an annual performance appraisal three (3) months prior to your annual increment, which occurs either in January or July.

Managerial employees should refer to the State of Connecticut Managers Guide for information on the managers Performance Assessment and Recognition System (PARS). Additional information can also be found under the Information for State Managers section of the DAS Human Resources home page at Performance Profile for Managers.


The Department of Developmental Services Human Resources Division maintains your official personnel file. Your personnel file contains information and documents related to your work status, such as transfer information, promotions, service ratings, pay increases, disciplinary documents, and any other information related to your employment with the Department. A separate occupational health file is maintained that contains all confidential medical information. You may review the contents of either of your files by contacting your local Human Resources office for an appointment.

Any changes in name, address, marital status, and the like should be immediately brought to the attention of the appropriate Human Resources office so that agency records and your personnel file can be brought up to date. You must also complete an employee withholding allowance certificate (W4 Form and CT W4 Form) each time you change your name, address, or revise the number of claimed tax exemptions. In addition, you must also change your address on all health and dental insurance forms.