Consumer Alert: Department of Consumer Protection Warns of Unregistered Contractor, Asks For Complaints
Thursday, September 19th, 2019 – The Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) is warning consumers to avoid doing business with an unregistered contractor, Roman Szewczak who also uses the business name Roman Enterprises, LLC. Mr. Szewczak is based in Newington, and DCP has reports of him soliciting customers, and performing incomplete or shoddy work in the West Hartford area.
“Offering services that you’re not credentialed to perform is a serious offense,” said Consumer Protection Commissioner Michelle H. Seagull, “Consumers deserve to work with contractors who play by the rules, and complete the work they commit to in their contracts. We hope that any consumers who have information about this contractor that haven’t already spoken with us will share it with the agency.”
Mr. Szewczak is pictured below:
If you’re planning home improvement work on your home, don’t fall victim to a scam. Before you commit to hiring a contractor, you should:
- Get multiple quotes, and remember, the cheapest is not always best;
- Don’t do businesses with anyone who asks that you pay the entire cost up front;
- Check multiple references from those who have had work done on their homes that’s similar to the work you’re planning;
- Verify any contractor you hire the proper credentials for the work they’re completing by visiting https://elicense.ct.gov;
- Ensure that you have a written, signed contract; and
- Ask any questions you have before signing the contract yourself
For more information, visit DCP’s website at www.ct.gov/DCP.
Lora Rae Anderson
(860) 713-6019 (office)
(860) 247-8711 (cell)