To protect the health and safety of the public and our employees, DCP has limited on-site staffing at 450 Columbus Blvd. While mail and phone calls will be processed as quickly as possible, we recommend using our online services, or sending an email to the appropriate division/person instead. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Non-Profit Organization

Non-profit, charitable organizations must register with the Department of Consumer Protection Charities UnitThe Charities Unit holds a registry of non-profit organizations.

Consumers should contact the Charities Unit to find out if a charity is legitimate or not, and to determine what percentage of each donation actually goes to the charity and what percentage is spent on fundraising and/or administrative costs.

Even if the charity is legitimate, anywhere from 5% to 90% of a donation may be used to pay telemarketing companies that solicit for the charity.

Mail address:

               Public Charities Unit
               Department of Consumer Protection
               450 Columbus Blvd, Ste 801
               Hartford, CT  06103

Phone:       860-713-6170



To form a non-profit organization, contact the Office of the Secretary of State to file appropriate organizational papers.  Tax filling status varies according to the type of non-profit.  There are many types of non-profits and this must be determined when filling out the corporation papers.

State of Connecticut Secretary of State
Commercial Recordings
30 Trinity Street
Hartford, Connecticut  06106