Unauthorized switch of a long distance phone company is commonly known as "slamming," and is against the law.Consumers with complaints about  slamming should contact the Federal Trade Commission. However, if the long distance carriers are in Connecticut, consumers should also file a written complaint with the Department of Consumer Protection.

Federal Trade Commission

Phone: 202-418-0200

Toll-free: 888-225-5322