The COVID-19 outbreak has had an impact on a number of services, including some services for veterans. Below is information on which services have been impacted, which services have not been affected and resources to help you stay informed:
If you have symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath, call your VA medical center before going to a clinic, urgent care center, or emergency room. Calling first helps us protect you, medical staff and other patients. Call 1-866-808-7921 or CALL YOUR PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR.
CT Federal VA Hospital System Guidelines
- Testing for VA Patients is by appointment only through the Veteran’s Primary Care Provider.
- Out of safety for our Veterans and Staff there are no visitors allowed (exceptions are case-by-case)
- No one under 18 years old will be permitted at the community clinics, Newington campus, West Haven campus or Herrera Center.
- All patients, staff, visitors, volunteers, contractors and vendors will be screened for signs of respiratory illness and COVID-19
- Vets Centers (mental health and counseling) are still open.
- The VA compensation and pensions claims (and appeals) have not been affected.
- Pharmacy window service will be for emergency medication only. All other medication will be mailed out. Emergency medication includes those ordered for post-surgical procedures, by the Emergency Room or discharge medication. Refill by phone (888-440-6580 or 203-937-4960); online at www.myhealth.va.gov; or mail in the refill form included with your last prescription
- The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) transportation network have suspended services, but transportation voucher for LYFT or UBER may apply - ask at time of appointment.
- The ER is still open - but for COVID-19 cases, see information in the blue box above.
- Telehealth is being encouraged and used whenever possible. Call your PCP for more information.
- Valet parking at the West Haven campus is suspended. Parking attendants will be available to direct vehicles.
State Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
- US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA): www.va.gov
- My HealtheVet: https://www.myhealth.va.gov/
- VA Coronavirus Webpage: www.va.gov/coronavirus
- VA Connecticut Healthcare System: www.connecticut.va.gov
- Text messaging for Veterans' notifications: https://www.va.gov/HEALTH/VEText.asp
Key Phone Numbers
- Veteran's Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255
- Soldier's Sailors and Marine's Fund: 1-860-296-0719
- West Haven VA: 203-932-5711
- Newington VA Campus: 1-860-666-6951
- Mobile App: https://portal.ct.gov/DVA/Pages/CTVeterans-Mobile-App
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/VAConnecticut