OPH Freqently Asked Questions

How do I request a release of jurisdiction?
The executive director has delegated to the principal attorney the authority to grant a release of jurisdiction pursuant to General Statutes § 46a-101 (c). A letter requesting a release should be sent by the complainant or the complainant’s attorney to the Legal Division:

Legal Division
Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities
450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 2
Hartford, CT 06103

How do I file an appearance?

All attorneys to a case are required to file an appearance form or letter of appearance, in duplicate, with the Office of Public Hearings (OPH) and concurrently serve copies thereof upon the other parties. Included in this form or letter are the attorney’s name, address, telephone and facsimile numbers, and Connecticut juris number; the case name and docket number; and the party who is represented. In accordance with § 46a-54-15a of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies (Regulations), attorneys practicing before the Commission of Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO) in a contested case proceeding must be licensed to practice in Connecticut or have permission to appear pro hac vice pursuant to the governing sections of the Connecticut Practice Book.

How do I file a motion to be admitted pro hac vice?

Upon written motion filed with OPH and served on the other parties, an attorney in good standing from other jurisdictions or a law student intern may request permission to appear at specific proceedings. In the body of the motion, the same information contained in the appearance form or letter should be provided.
In addition to a motion filed with OPH, attorneys not barred in Connecticut who are seeking to appear pro hac vice must get approval from the Connecticut Judicial Branch to do so pursuant to the applicable sections of the Connecticut Practice Book.
Even if the motion is granted, an attorney admitted to practice in Connecticut must also be present during all of the proceedings, sign all pleadings and other papers filed in the case, and take full responsibility for the conduct of the attorney or law student intern and the representation of the case. See § 46a-54-15a (b) of the Regulations.

How do I withdraw my appearance?

An attorney who wishes to withdraw an appearance is required to file a withdrawal form or letter, in duplicate, with OPH and concurrently serve copies thereof upon the other parties and the attorney’s client.

Is it necessary to file a withdrawal of complaint when the case is settled?

A complaint is not considered removed from the contested case docket until either a Withdrawal of Complaint or a stipulated agreement is filed with OPH.

How do I file a document or contact OPH?

The original and one copy of all pleadings, motions, briefs and other documents in contested case proceedings shall be filed with OPH at: Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, Office of Public Hearings, 450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 2, Hartford, CT 06103. The party filing documents must certify that a copy of the document has been mailed to all parties of record.
Documents are deemed filed when they have been date stamped as received by OPH. Documents may be filed with OPH Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

All documents that do not meet these requirements may be returned.

The telephone number for OPH is 860-418-8770. The fax number is 860-418-8780. The e-mail address is officeofpublichearings@ct.gov.

How do I request a continuance?

Requests for a continuance may be granted if the moving party makes an adequate showing of good cause. The party asking for a continuance, prior to submitting the motion for continuance, shall confer with the other parties to the complaint and represent their position with respect to a continuance in the motion. The motion shall also include three alternative dates and times that all the parties have agreed are mutually convenient if the motion is granted by the human rights referee.

Absent good cause, motions for a continuance shall be filed no later than 10 days prior to the event for which a continuance is sought.

No matter is continued unless the human rights referee grants the motion.

The hearing conference must be held within forty-five (45) days of the certification of the complaint.

Is evidence taken at the hearing conference?

No. The contested case proceeding commences with a hearing conference. The purpose of the hearing conference is to schedule the dates for a settlement conference, production requests and compliance, a pre-hearing conference and a public hearing; and to discuss related procedural matters.  No evidence or testimony will be taken at the hearing conference.

Are decisions and rulings by the human rights referees available for inspection?
Yes. Rulings and decisions of human rights referees are available for public inspection at OPH. Copies are available at $0.25 per page hard copy or, when available, gratis by e-mail. Requests to review orders, decisions and case files shall be made in advance so that suitable arrangements can be made.
Referees’ decisions and index, summaries of hearing officers’ decisions and CHRO’s regulations can also be accessed through CHRO’s website,  https://www.ct.gov/chro. In addition, referees’ decisions are accessible through Westlaw, www.westlaw.com, database CT-CIVDEC.