Requirements for New Buildings
For buildings that are ready for first occupancy after March 13, 1991 and that have an elevator and four or more units, the following conditions are required:
- Public and common areas must be accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Door and hallways must be wide enough for wheelchairs.
- All units must have:
- An accessible route into and through the unit,
- Accessible light switches, electrical outlets, thermostats, and other environmental controls,
- Reinforced bathroom walls to allow later installation of grab bars, and
- Kitchens and bathrooms that can be used by people in wheelchairs.
If a building with four or more units has no elevator and will be ready for first occupancy after March 13, 1991, these standards apply to ground floor units.
These requirements for new buildings do not replace any more stringent standards in State building code or local laws.