Portable Swimming Pools - A Message from the State Building Inspector

Connecticut State Police Patch STATE OF CONNECTICUT
Department of Public Safety
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, Connecticut 06457


Now that the summer months are upon us, we’re all trying to find a way to beat the heat. With the cost of energy these days, a reasonable solution seems to be a portable swimming pool for the kids to splash around in. A variety of retail establishments sell portable pools these days and they seem to be a cheap solution to providing comfort and recreation. Problem is, if the pool is capable of holding more than 24 inches of water, the State Building Code requires a permit and a code-compliant barrier around the pool. Since very few retail establishments advertise this, you may be in for a big surprise when your local building official tells you that the $ 179 blow-up pool you just bought requires a barrier around it that also includes alarms on the doors to your home if the wall of the house is part of the barrier. Since the physical characteristics of a pool barrier differ greatly from the average back-yard fence, don’t assume a fenced yard lets you off the hook. Every year a child drowns in a tragic accident involving an unprotected pool. Avoid a needless tragedy, make sure your pool is protected! For answers to your questions, consult your local building department or call the office of the State Building Inspector at (860) 685-8310.