How to File a Discrimination Complaint

Connecticut law prohibits illegal discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, public accommodations, and credit transactions. To understand what illegal discrimination is, go to the Who's Protected page. If you believe you have experienced illegal discrimination, the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities will investigate your allegation without cost to you. 

Complaints must be filed within 300 days of the date of the alleged act of discrimination. Complaints must be in writing and under oath. Your written complaint must be filed with the Commission before the 300-day time frame expires. Because drafting, signing, and filing a complaint takes time, you should get in touch with the Commission as quickly as possible after the alleged discriminatory act occurs. 

A person wishing to file a complaint should contact an intake officer at one of the Commission’s regional offices. The intake worker will discuss your concerns, explain our complaint process and advise you about what help CHRO may be able to provide to you. If a complaint can be taken, you will be given an appointment to come to a regional office to file a complaint.

If you are interested in filing an employment, public accommodation, or credit transaction discrimination complaint, go to the contacting us page now to find the town in which the alleged discriminatory act took place and the phone number of the Regional Office that serves that town.

Housing Complaints Only

If you are interested in filing a housing complaint, contact the Commission’s Housing Discrimination Unit located at the Commission’s administrative offices at 450 Columbus Boulevard, Hartford, CT 06103, (860) 541-3403. More about filing a housing complaint. For general information on housing discrimination and your rights to fair housing, go to the housing index page.

Whistleblower Retaliation Complaints

If you are an employee of a state agency, a quasi-public agency, or a large state contractor, and if you are interested in filing a whistleblower retaliation complaint, contact the Commission's Office of Public Hearing at the Commission's administrative offices at 450 Columbus Boulevard, Hartford, CT  06103, (860) 418-8770.  More about filing a whilstleblower retaliation complaint.