State Troopers Prepare for Thanksgiving Holiday Travel and Road Safety
STATE TROOPERS PREPARE FOR THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY TRAVEL & ROAD SAFETY
(Middletown CT – November 19, 2018) - With tens of thousands of travelers driving through Connecticut during the Thanksgiving week, State Police are ramping up their plans to keep highways safe for all during the holiday rush.
Beginning on Wednesday, November 21, 2018, at 00:01 a.m. and running through Sunday, Nov. 25, 2018, at 11:59 p.m., Connecticut State Police will supplement its normal routine patrol personnel with additional Troopers throughout the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Across the state, Troopers will patrol roads and highways across Connecticut focusing on aggressive drivers, unsafe drivers and drunk drivers.
In addition, the State Police – in cooperation with the State Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration – will conduct a Seatbelt Enforcement Wave from Monday, November 19, through Sunday, November 26. This will run concurrently with the State Police Thanksgiving week enforcement.
Troopers are committed to reducing crashes through preventive enforcement initiatives such as roving DUI patrols. Troopers will also be looking for violators who cause accidents on state roads and highways. Every effort to reduce accidents will be taken.
Connecticut residents are asked to be a part of the public safety solution by obeying traffic laws: don’t follow too closely to cars around you, drive the speed limit, stay off your cell phone while driving. If you plan to consume alcohol, please do not drive; designate a driver for everyone’s safety.
Residents should remind all young people, especially college students returning home for the holiday weekend, of the laws regarding alcohol consumption and drinking and driving.
Patrol Troopers will use traditional and non-traditional patrol cars to observe traffic and issue tickets to reckless and distracted drivers. A reminder to all drivers: anyone who is consuming alcohol should never get behind the wheel.
If you see a suspected drunk driver or a reckless driver, please call 911, as this is a true emergency.
The following Roving Patrols and DUI Spot Checks are planned:
Troop A, Southbury
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Roving DUI enforcement patrols, Interstate 84 Danbury to Waterbury.
- Saturday, November 24, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Roving DUI enforcement patrols, Interstate 84 Danbury to Waterbury.
Troop B, North Canaan
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: Roving DUI enforcement patrols on Route 7, Route 63 and Route 44 in Canaan, Salisbury and Norfolk.
- Friday, November 23, 2018: Roving DUI enforcement patrols on Route 8, Route 202 and Route 44 in Winsted, Barkhamsted and New Hartford.
Troop D, Danielson
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Roving DUI enforcement patrols.
- Saturday, November 24, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Roving DUI enforcement patrols.
Troop F, Westbook
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: 2000-0400hrs. – Roving DUI enforcement patrols in Troop F area.
- Friday, November 23, 2018: Spot Check – to be conducted on Route 153 in Essex. The BAT mobile will be present for this event.
- Saturday, November 24, 2018: 2000-0400 hours – Roving DUI enforcement patrols In Troop F area.
Troop G, Bridgeport
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Interstate 95, Interstate 91 and Route 34 in the greater New Haven area.
- Friday, November 23, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Interstate 95, Route 8 and Route 25 in the Bridgeport/Stratford/Trumbull area.
Troop H, Hartford
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018 through Sunday, November 25 – Troop H Trooper will conduct roving patrols for DUI enforcement on Interstate 84 and Interstate 91.
Troop I, Bethany
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: 2000-0400hrs. – Roving DUI enforcement patrols on InterstateI-91 in the area of I-691 in Meriden.
- Friday, November 23, 2018: 2000-0400 hours - Roving DUI enforcement patrols on Route 8 in the Shelton, Ansonia and Derby areas.
Roving DUI Enforcement Patrols:
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: Between 2000 and 0400 hours – Patrol the area in and around Lebanon, Bozrah, Franklin and Windham (Route 6, Interstate 384).
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018: from 2000 to November 22, 2018 at 0400 hours, Spot Check at Route 6 in the area of Route 6 and Ridge Drive in Windham.
- Friday, November 23, 2018: Between 2000 and 0400 hours – Patrol the area in and around Colchester, Salem, East Haddam (Route 2 and Route 85).
Troop L, Litchfield
- Wednesday, November 21-Saturday, November 24, 2018: Roving DUI patrols on Route 8 between exits 37 and 42, Routes 6 & 64 in Woodbury, Routes 202 & 254 in Litchfield, Routes 7 & 341 in Kent, Routes 63 & 109 in Morris, Routes 45 & 47 in Washington, Routes 132 & 61 Bethlehem, Route 4 in Burlington & Harwinton, Route 72 in Harwinton.