Connecticut State Police Patch STATE OF CONNECTICUT
Department of Public Safety
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, Connecticut 06457
September 17, 2010



   On 08/30/10, at approximately 5:00 p.m., State Police Troop-B received 911 calls from a hiker who reported seeing and encountering a suspicious male who was in possession of a handgun at the Nepaug Reservoir Dam in New Hartford.  The caller also reported that the male told the caller to stay away.

   Troopers, assisted by DEP, MDC, Canton Police and Canton Volunteer Fire Department all responded to the scene to search for the male subject. Troopers located evidence that enabled them to indentify the male subject.  The witness described the missing male as a white male, bald, wearing black shirt, and blue jeans. He was in possession of a black-colored handgun.  Boats and watercraft were launched on the reservoir to search the water and shoreline for the male subject.  State Police aircraft also was utilized to conduct an aerial search of the water and surrounding wooded area.   Several State Police K-9 teams responded and  searched the wooded area with negative results. 

   On 08/31/10 at 8:30 a.m. State Police Emergency Service Troopers returned to the scene to continue the search of the reservoir. State Police launched a boat equipped with side scan sonar with State Police divers on board to continue the water search for the missing male. Canton Police and  Fire and MDC Police also are assisting in this effort.  The missing male is indentified as BRIAN BROOKS, DOB: 8/2/1967, of Canton CT.

   On Thursday 09/16/10, MDC Police provided Troopers with possible leads as to a location in the reservoir that should be searched by divers.  Today, 09/17/10, State Police Divers entered the water at the location and recovered a weapon from that suspected area.  State Police Divers continued to search the area underwater where the weapon was located and Troopers diving did recover the remains of a male subject believed to be that of the missing person in this case.  The deceased was transported to the Office of the Chief State‚Äôs Medical Examiner for a post mortem examination.

   State Police examination of the deceased and the investigation has led investigators to believe there is no criminal aspect to this case.


Lt. J. Paul Vance