|STATE OF CONNECTICUT
Department of Public Safety
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, Connecticut 06457
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Residential Burglary Alert
The Town of
1. Use deadbolt locks on all doors and keep locked at all times.
2. Use quality locks on windows and sliding doors and ensure that they are in working order.
3. Install a deadbolt lock on the door between the house and an attached garage.
4. Be sure the number on your house is visible and lighted or reflective so that emergency personnel can find it quickly.
5. Keep your main entrance visible from the street and well lit at night.
6. Do not hide keys anywhere around the outside of the house.
7. Never let strangers into your home without checking their identification.
8. Know your neighbors and keep their phone numbers handy for emergencies.
9. Trim trees and shrubs around the house and under windows to eliminate hiding places for thieves.
10. Keep the exterior of the home, especially around windows and doors, well lit.
11. Install outside lights equipped with motion detectors.
12. Use timers on lamps to create the impression of an occupied home.
13. Move all tools and ladders into a garage or shed when not in use. Keep the garage or shed locked.
14. Lock your vehicles parked at home.
When going on vacation:
- Complete yard work before leaving. Arrange for someone to mow the lawn and/or water flowers if you will be gone for an extended period of time.
- Cancel your newspaper and ask the post office or a neighbor to hold your mail.
- Arrange for a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your house and to call the police if anything suspicious occurs.
- Install light timers on lamps to give the appearance that the home is occupied.
- Turn down the volume on your phone and answering machine.
East Lyme residents and/or business owners,
if you will be away from your home or business:
1. Please contact the East Lyme Resident Troopers Office at 739-7007, or 739-5900, and request that patrol checks are made of your home or business during your absence. Please provide the following information;
· The dates and times that you will be away.
· The names and contact information for persons to be notified in the event of emergency
· The names of persons that may visit the property during your absence (Caretakers, house cleaners, persons caring for animals, etc.).
· A description of any vehicle that may be at the property.
2. Contact your neighbors, and inform them of your trip and the dates you
will be away .
3. Request that they contact the police should they see any unexpected people or vehicles on the property.
4. Contact your mail and newspaper carriers and cancel deliveries during your absence. Uncollected mail and packages are flags for potential burglars.
Please report ALL suspicious neighborhood activity including vehicle or person description to the police.
The Connecticut State Police frequently relies on the general public for help in solving criminal cases. If you have witnessed a crime or if you have information that might help detectives solve a case, we would like to hear from you.
Public Information OfficeYour Help Needed
If you can help the CT State Police solve a crime, please call our 24 hour line
(860) 685-8190, or our toll free line at 800-842-0200 (in-state only).
Text "TIP711 plus your message" to CRIMES (274637)
This is strictly a system set up for the public to send tips via text messaging to
the police text messaging to the police anonymously.
THIS IS NOT TO BE USED TO REPORT CRIMES
TO BE USED FOR REPORTING EMERGENCIES
FOR EMERGENCIES CALL 911