Updates from the State of Connecticut on March 14, 2017 Winter Storm
Updated: 03/14/17 at 5:30pm
- Statewide Travel Ban Was Lifted at 5PM Tuesday evening: The statewide travel ban on all state roads that Governor Malloy implemented early this morning was lifted at 5:00 p.m. this evening. However, motorists are urged to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary as roads remain slick and black ice is expected to form overnight.
- Entire Fleet of DOT Plows Clearing State Roads: The entire fleet of Department of Transportation plows are out clearing the roads. The more we keep cars off of the roads during the storm, the faster we will be able to clean up the roads and get them back into use after the storm.
- Third-Shift State Employees Should Not Report to Work Tuesday Evening: All third-shift, nonessential state employees should not report to work on the evening of Tuesday, March 14, 2017.
- State Offices Will Open on Wednesday: State offices are expected to be open on Wednesday, March 15. All state employees should report to work as scheduled on Wednesday.
- Metro-North Service to Resume at 6PM Tuesday: Metro-North service will resume at 6PM on Tuesday, March 14, with hourly service through 11PM, however there will be no branch service. On Wednesday, March 15, Metro-North will operate on a modified schedule.
- Bus Service Expected to Resume Wednesday: It is expected that bus service will resume on Wednesday, however please check back for updates.
- Severe Cold Weather Protocol remains in effect through Thursday: Governor Malloy has ordered the state's Severe Cold Weather Protocol to remain in effect through Thursday, March 16 at 8:00 a.m. This protocol directs certain state agencies to coordinate services that will help the most vulnerable receive protection from the cold.
- Town parking bans and school closures/delays: Decisions on parking bans and school closures/delays are made locally. Visit your town or city's website or check local television and radio stations for these announcements.
- Wednesday, 3/15/17 at 5:30AM: Gov. Malloy: State Offices Open Today, All State Employees Should Report to Work as Scheduled
- Tuesday, 3/14/17 at 2:00PM: Gov. Malloy Lifts Statewide Travel Ban Effective at 5PM Today, Encourages Residents to Remain Off Roads if Possible
- Tuesday, 3/14/17 at 1:30PM: Gov. Malloy: Third-Shift, Nonessential State Employees Should Not Report to Work Tuesday Evening
- Monday, 3/13/17 at 4:50PM: Gov. Malloy Signs Civil Preparedness Emergency Ahead of Winter Storm, Activates Statewide Travel Ban Beginning at 5AM Tuesday
- Monday, 3/13/17 at 1:00PM: CTDOT Prepares for Winter Storm
- Monday, 3/13/17 at 12:30PM: With Major Winter Storm Forecast for Tomorrow, DPH Warns of Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Monday, 3/13/17 at 11:30am: DMV Cancels Road and Knowledge Tests Due to Expected Snow Storm Conditions
Traffic Cameras and Road Incidents
For traffic cameras and real-time travel information, visit the Connecticut Department of Transportation's "Travel Smart Connecticut" website at www.CTTravelSmart.org.
Utility Company Power Outage Information
- Report a power outage: 1-800-286-2000
- Outage maps and helpful information
- Report a power outage: 1-800-722-5584
- Outage maps and helpful information
Shelters and Warming Centers
Shelters and warming centers are open across Connecticut. To find the nearest available location, call 2-1-1 or view the full list at www.211ct.org.
Useful Social Media Links
- @GovMalloyOffice: Office of Governor Malloy
- @CTDEMHS: Connecticut Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- @CT_STATE_POLICE: Connecticut State Police
- @FEMARegion1: Federal Emergency Management Agency, Region 1 (serving Connecticut)
- @CTRedCross: Connecticut Red Cross
- @EversourceCT: Eversource Connecticut
- @UnitedIllum: United Illuminating