Brooklyn Correctional Institution
|Address:||59 Hartford Road
Brooklyn , CT 06234
|Warden: Robert Martin|
Deputy Warden: William Colon
Visiting Information:Cancellations: No social visits on Thursday, March 22, 2018.
See data available regarding Connecticut Department of Correction's supervised population.
The Brooklyn Correctional Institution endeavors to hold offenders accountable, while offering developmental opportunities through sound educational, vocational and cognitive programming that subsequently facilitates successful reintegration into the community.
The Brooklyn Correctional Institution is a level 3 medium-security facility. It offers extensive programming to assist offenders with the successful law abiding return to the community. The programming includes: Educational Services with GED, English as a Second Language, and Special Education; Vocational Programs, Business Education, Computer Skills; Literacy Volunteers; Sex Offender Programming; Anger Management and Substance Abuse Programming.
The Brooklyn Correctional Institution maintains a high standard of professionalism, dignity, and respect that fosters safety and security balanced with compassion toward the inmate population.
The facility assists surrounding communities with various public service projects and coordinating charitable contributions with an emphasis on those combating domestic violence. Offenders also speak to high school and at-risk youth concerning the importance of positive choices in decision making and the negative impact of incarceration.
Present staffing: 123.
The Brooklyn Correctional Institution, formerly known as the Windham County Jail was built in 1820 and served as both town hall and jail.
In 1842, a new jail was constructed adding barns, outbuildings and in 1863 a section for female prisoners. The mission during this time was employing prisoners as common laborers.
By 1847, offenders outside jobs grew extensively to include such labor as digging, carting, woodcutting, and harvesting.
In the late 1800's subsequent changes were incorporated into the initial mission, incarcerating inmates on charges such as drunkenness, theft and bootlegging. A prison library was established along with religious services, including monthly meetings run by the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Statistics from 1887 reflect a total of 225 inmates committed to the jail.
In the 1940's to the 1970's offenders were committed for crimes such as grand theft, drug possession, and even murder.
In 1990 the new dormitory style facility was built and the institution changed from a pretrial level 4 to a sentenced level 3 facility. In 1994 programming for the sex offender population began. The facility confines level 3, medium-security inmates in a dormitory setting.
List of past wardens:
|1996-1997||L. Gurukaur Khalsa|
|2003-2005||Daniel W. Martin|
|2006-2008||Robin H. Sutherland|