Renters' Rebate For Elderly/Disabled Renters Tax Relief Program

Renters' Rebate Program

Renters' Rebate Program Description

Public Act 24-132 Changes Effective July 1, 2024

State law provides a reimbursement program for Connecticut renters who are elderly or totally disabled, and whose incomes do not exceed certain limits. Persons renting an apartment or room or living in cooperative housing, or a mobile home may be eligible for this program. Renters' rebates can be up to $900 for married couples and $700 for single persons. The renters' rebate amount is based on a graduated income scale and the amount of rent and utility payments (excluding telephone) made in the calendar year prior to the year in which the renter applies. Application may be made at the municipality assessor's office or social service agency on or after April 1st and not later than September 30th.

Payment of Renters' Rebate is made on or before November 30th. If a check is not received by December 15th contact the Renters' Rebate Program Hotline. 

Taxpayer Renter's Rebate Application (M-35r) - File with local municipality only. Do not send to OPM. 

Renters' Question & Answer Booklet

If you have questions related to the Renters' Rebate Program please call the program hotline at 860.418.6377.  If you are prompted to leave a message, please speak slowly and clearly, stating your name and phone number.  A program representative will get back to you as soon as they can.


Recipient or spouse must be 65 years of age or older or be 50 years of age or older and the surviving spouse of a renter who at the time of the renter's death had qualified and was entitled to tax relief provided such spouse was domiciled with such renter at the time of the renters’ death, or 18 years of age or older and eligible to receive Social Security Disability benefits. Must meet a one-year state residency requirement. Grants are based upon income requirements shown in CGS Section 12-170e.

Statutory References: Connecticut General Statutes (CGS): Sections 12-170d, 12-170e, 12-170f, 12-170g, 12-170h, 12-170bb 

Regulatory References: Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies: §12-170f-1 and §12-170f-2.