Law Enforcement Resource Center
The Law Enforcement Resource Center at the Connecticut Police Academy is a library specializing in the fields of police service and criminology. The library also contains a small law book collection. The services and materials in the library supplement the educational mission of the Connecticut Police Academy, which provides initial training for both Municipal and State Police recruits and in-service training for law enforcement officers in Connecticut. Education is necessary to foster the professionalism of law enforcement officers and a library contributes to an officer's education by providing the services and materials to enhance the curriculum and to allow for individualized learning. Materials are available to help law enforcement officers advance in their chosen career field, by providing information on other educational institutions, and materials needed to study for promotional examinations.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- CONNECTICUT MATERIAL
- CT Statutes -- The law (statute) appears in black lettering. Note that below the statute, there is further information that might be helpful: the history of the statute in purple and relevant court decisions in red.
- CT Penal Code -- The law (statute) appears in black lettering. Note that below the statute, there is further information that might be helpful: the history of the statute in purple and relevant court decisions in red.
- CT Penal Code Update and Revision Report -- Latest update online: March, 2012
- Archive of CT Appellate Court Decisions -- 2000 to 2012 cases in PDF format listed by case name
- Archive of CT Supreme Court Decisions -- 2000 to 2012 cases in PDF format listed by case name
- JUDICIAL BRANCH
- CT Judicial Branch -- Site contains a wealth of useful information to familiarize with!
- Judicial Branch Libraries -- Reference librarians may be asked questions via email, phone or in-house. Much information on the libraries sites, including basic information on a number of legal subjects (Pathfinders).
- FEDERAL MATERIAL
- Federal Criminal Laws -- USC: Title 18-Crimes & Criminal Procedure
- U.S. Supreme Court -- Includes dockets, oral arguments, court rules and opinions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit -- Everything you ever wanted to know about the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, what they do, what opinions they've issued.
- U.S. District Courts District of Connecticut -- Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford District Court information including calendars, rules and opinions.
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations -- The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a currently updated version of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). It is not an official legal edition of the CFR. The e-CFR is an editorial compliation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- Public Library of Law -- the largest free online U.S. case law database
- Justia -- Site provides free case law, codes, regulations and legal information for lawyers, business, students and consumers worldwide.
- Cornell University -- Federal and State laws as well as lots of additional legal information
- LexisNexis Communities -- Excellent source for all kinds of free legal information
- White Pages Neighbors -- Put in a street address and get a map and list of individuals living in that location
- IConn Database -- Connecticut's Research Engine