OFFICE OF CHIEF PUBLIC DEFENDER
ASSIGNED COUNSEL UNIT
The Assigned Counsel Unit at the Office of Chief Public Defender is responsible for all assigned counsel matters, including administration of attorney contracts and financial compensation for these services. The Assigned Counsel Unit manages approximately one third of the agency budget of $23 million dollars, and approximately 25,000 cases per year.
The Director of Assigned Counsel is Attorney Alix C. Walmsley, who has worked for the Division of Public Defender Services for over 25 years.
Assigned Counsel: Assigned Counsel are court-appointed, private practice attorneys directly assigned to clients/cases by the Assigned Counsel and Child Protection Unit of the Office of Chief Public Defender (OCPD).
Assigned counsel attorneys handle a variety of matters statewide in Connecticut. They are independent contractors who contract with the Office of Chief Public Defender to practice in specific areas of law, in particular court locations.
- Contracts and assignments are based on agency need.
- The Assigned Counsel Unit has a standing committee to assist in decision-making on many matters affecting the administration of contracts and the attorneys.
- Chief Public Defender, Christine Rapillo, has final approval on assigned counsel matters.
- For child welfare matters (see the “Practice Areas” link, below) the Director of Assigned Counsel consults with, and coordinates with, the Director of Delinquency Defense and Child Protection, Attorney Susan Hamilton, to administrate the finances and handle contract matters for these particular practice areas.
Assigned Counsel Unit Forms: The Assigned Counsel Unit has several forms, but the forms change as needed, and specific forms are necessary for most needs. If you need an application form, a billing form, or any other kind of form, in order to ensure you get the correct, most up-to-date form please reach out to: Audrey.Gilzene@pds.ct.gov or call the Assigned Counsel Unit at (860) 509-6486 to make a request.
Director Walmsley can be initially contacted through her assistant:
Administrative Assistant Audrey Gilzene:
(860) 509-6486 and email@example.com.
The Assigned Counsel Unit is located at:
55 Farmington Avenue, 8th Floor,
Hartford, CT 06105.