Applying for a Cigarette Manufacturer's License
This Announcement has been clarified by AN 2004(8.1)
Statutory Authority: 2003 Conn. Pub. Acts 271, §2.
Cigarette Manufacturer’s License: As used in this Announcement:
- Tobacco product manufacturer means a tobacco product manufacturer, as defined in Conn. Gen. Stat. §4-28h.
- Master Settlement Agreement means the Master Settlement Agreement, as defined in Conn. Gen. Stat. §4-28h.
- Participating manufacturer means a participating manufacturer, as defined in Subsection II(jj) of the Master Settlement Agreement.
Certain Persons Ineligible to be Issued a Cigarette Manufacturer’s License: DRS will not issue or reissue a cigarette manufacturer’s license to any applicant if the applicant:
- Is neither a participating manufacturer nor in full compliance with Conn. Gen. Stat. §4-28i;
- Has imported cigarettes into the United States in violation of 19 U.S.C. §1681a; or
- Has imported or manufactured cigarettes that do not fully comply with the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, 15 U.S.C. §1131 et seq.
Effect on Other Documents: Special Notice 2003(18), 2003 Legislation Affecting the Cigarette Taxes and the Tobacco Products Tax, is supplemented. Effect of This Document: Announcements alert taxpayers to new developments (other than newly enacted or amended Connecticut or federal laws or newly released judicial decisions), including new administrative positions, policies, or practices. For Further Information: Call DRS during business hours, Monday through Friday:
- 1-800-382-9463 (in-state), or
- 860-297-5962 (from anywhere)
TTY, TDD, and Text Telephone users only may transmit inquiries anytime by calling 860-297-4911. AN 2004(8)
Cigarette Manufacturer’s License