If you wish to request a copy of a vital record from the state, please note the State of CT has a turnaround time of approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks for requests for birth, death, fetal death, marriage and civil union certificates that are received through the mail. 
For a quicker turnaround time you may direct your request to the town where the event occurred.  For a town address listing and telephone numbers, click on the following link for the  Town Vital Records Directory.
Expedited service is also available for an additional fee for requests ordered on-line via  VitalChek.
VitalChek is the only third party vendor approved by CT DPH to accept vital record orders.
Connecticut’s civil union laws were enacted on October 1, 2005, allowing same sex couples to enter into a legal union which provided the same benefits, protections and responsibilities under state law as those granted by marriage. Following the legalization of same sex marriage in Connecticut, the civil union laws were repealed on October 1, 2010.  As of that date, couples could no longer enter into civil unions in Connecticut and all civil unions that had been performed were converted to, or are now recognized as, a marriage, unless proceedings for dissolution, annulment or legal separation had been initiated.
Individuals who request a copy of a civil union certificate for a ceremony performed between October 1, 2005 and September 30, 2010, will receive a certified copy that contains the following conversion statement:
“The persons named on this certificate entered into a civil union on the date recorded.  In accordance with C.G.S. §46B-38rr, all civil unions converted to marriages on October 1, 2010, except those that were dissolved, or had dissolution, annulment or legal separation proceedings pending on October 1, 2010.”
Connecticut civil union certificates are open to the general public.  Anyone over 18 years of age may request a copy of any Connecticut Civil Union Certificate. You must provide basic information such as the names of the parties to the civil union, the approximate date of the civil union, and the town in which the civil union took place, so that the proper civil union certificate can be identified. 
The social security numbers of the civil union partners will not be included on the certified copy issued to any requester other than one of the parties to the civil union.
A certified copy of a civil union certificate may be requested by mail or in person.  Complete the Application for a Copy of Civil Union Certificate available on this site and mail it or take it in person to the vital records office of the town or city where the civil union took place, or the town or city of the parties' residence at the time the civil union took place, or to the State Vital Records Office.  For the town address and telephone number, click on the link for the Town Vital Records Directory. For expedited processing by Vitalchek, please apply on-line at http://www.vitalchek.com/.