CTDOT Press Releases

CTDOT Press Release Header graphic


Public Invited to an Informational Meeting Concerning Route 82 Safety Improvements in Norwich

The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) will conduct an in-person public informational meeting concerning the proposed Safety Improvements on Route 82 (Phase 1) in Norwich on Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 7 p.m. at Kelly STEAM Magnet Middle School, 25 Mahan Dr., Norwich, Conn. 06360. For more information and project documents, visit the project webpage: State Project No. 0103-0274.


The purpose of the project is to improve safety on Route 82 between Interstate 395 and the Thames River by reducing the number and severity of crashes within the site limits. The subject area of Route 82, nearly 1.5-miles long, experiences a higher-than-average crash rate, a total of approximately 100 crashes and 35 injuries per year over the last five-year period. About 40% of total crashes occur at unsignalized intersections, while the other 60% occur at signalized locations.

Given the size of the corridor and the complexity of various aspects of its design, the project has been split into two phases: Project No. 0103-0274 (Phase 1) and Project No. 0103-0275 (Phase 2). This Public Informational Meeting will be addressing Phase 1 only. Phase 1 is located on Route 82 (West Main Street) and runs approximately from Banas Court to Fairmount Street. The existing roadway is four-lanes undivided with sidewalks and narrow shoulders. There are four signalized intersections within this section of Route 82 located at Dunham Street, Osgood Street, Mount Pleasant Street, and Asylum Street/Mechanic Street. The current proposal involves the removal of a signal and the installation of a single-lane roundabout at Osgood Street, Mount Pleasant Street, and Asylum Street/Mechanic Street. In addition, a raised median and “road diet” from Dunham Street to Asylum/Mechanic Street is being proposed. The “road diet” will reduce Route 82 from four-lanes down to two. At the Dunham Street intersection, U-turn capability will be provided for Route 82 westbound traffic to access driveways on the south side of Route 82, until construction of the roundabout at Dunham Street is completed with Phase 2.

There are right-of-way impacts associated with the proposed improvements. Phase 1 will require five total property acquisitions on West Main Street. Approximately 44 additional properties will be impacted along the corridor and require either a partial acquisition and/or a slope easement.

Construction is anticipated to begin in spring 2024 with an advanced utility breakout project, followed by proposed roadway work in spring 2025 based on the availability of funding, acquisition of rights of way and approval of permit(s). The estimated construction cost for the Phase 1 project is approximately $20.4 million. This project is anticipated to be undertaken with 80% Federal funds and 20% State funds.

The public informational meeting is being held to provide the public and local community the opportunity to offer comments or ask questions regarding the proposed project.

During the Question and Answer session and the 14-day comment period that follows the meeting, individuals may leave a question or comment via e-mail (preferred) at DOTProject103-274@ct.gov. Individuals may also leave a voicemail question or comment by calling (860) 944-1111. Please reference the project in your voicemail.

The meeting facility is ADA accessible. Language assistance may be requested by contacting the Department’s Language Assistance Call Line (860) 594-2109.  Requests should be made at least 5 business days prior to the meeting. Language assistance is provided at no cost to the public and efforts will be made to respond to timely requests for assistance.


Twitter: @CTDOTOfficial
Facebook: Connecticut Department of Transportation


Share this information on: