DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

How to Sell a Vehicle when Title is Missing

If you have lost your original Connecticut Certificate of Title and are selling the vehicle to someone who will be registering it in Connecticut, you can follow the procedures listed below to sell the vehicle without requesting a replacement title.

  • Complete the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B).   

  • Must also include an Original Connecticut DMV Supplemental Assignment of Ownership Form (form Q1). This form is also available at your local DMV office. 

  • Transfer of ownership will not be valid unless form Q1 Supplemental Assignment of Ownership is included.

  • If a lien was listed on the original Connecticut Certificate of Title, a lien release must be provided to the purchaser and must accompany the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B). The transaction will not be processed if a lien release is not submitted. The lien release must be on letterhead paper from the lien holder.  If the date of the lien is more than ten years and you are having difficulty obtaining a lien release from lender (out of business, changed name, etc.) you must provide a completed Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit (form H-115) in lieu of the lien release.
  • If a vehicle is over 20 model years old, a Connecticut title will not be required to sell a vehicle.  If title is not available, a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership form (Form Q-1) can be completed in full to indicate the buyer and the seller.

  • Note: If the vehicle is being sold to someone in another state, you must request a replacement title. Once you have received the duplicate title, complete the transfer section on the reverse side of the title and provide to the buyer of the vehicle.