NOTICE: VISITING US? Know Before You Go.

Replacement Title

Replacement titles are not required for vehicles over 20 model years old according to Connecticut State Law C.G.S. Title 14 Sec. 14-166.

Letter for Model Year Title Exempt Vehicles

How to apply:

A replacement title can be issued at any DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office (NOTE: Putnam Office does not process replacement titles).  

You can also mail the application and $25 check or money order payable DMV to:

State of Connecticut

Department of Motor Vehicles

Attn: Specialized Registry Services
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06161

Requests through the mail take approximately 90 days. 

Please note: Connecticut does not participate in any electronic title or electronic lien holder program. 

Lien Holder Information:

If lien holder is still outstanding, the lienholder may apply for a replacement.

A lien release letter must be obtained from your loan company. The letter must be on loan institution letterhead. Information must include owner(s) name, vehicle description: year, make, identification number, state the loan has been paid in full or there is no interest in the vehicle and signed by authorized agent.

If the date of the loan is more than ten years old, and you have difficulty obtaining a letter of lien release, (out of business, change name, etc.) you must complete a completed Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit (form H-115) in lieu of the lien release.

Legal Representation:

Legal Representative must include documentation: (i.e.: power of attorney or probate with proper identification required)

Ownership Transfer in Absence of Title

If you have misplaced your title and you are selling your vehicle to a Connecticut resident, you may:

  • Fill out Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B). This application must be signed by the seller and the buyer.
  • Must also include an Original Connecticut DMV Supplemental Assignment of Ownership Form (Q1 form). This form is also available at your local DMV office. 
  • Transfer of ownership will not be valid unless form Q1 Supplemental Assignment of Ownership is included.
  • If lien holder is listed on the title, lien release letter needs to be provided.