Requesting a Replacement Title
Replacement titles are not required for vehicles over 20 model years old according to Connecticut State Law C.G.S. Title 14 Sec. 14-166.
How to apply:
- Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B) must be completed. Section 1 and 3, Signature of Owner(s), Lienholder, or Legal Representative.
- If a lien is listed on the title, a lien release letter must be submitted with form. Request will not be processed without a lien release.
You can also mail the application and $25 check or money order payable DMV to:
State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Specialized Registry Services
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Requests through the mail take approximately 90 days.
Please note: Connecticut does not participate in any electronic title or electronic lien holder program.
Lien Holder Information:
If lien holder is still outstanding, the lienholder may apply for a replacement.
A lien release letter must be obtained from your loan company. The letter must be on loan institution letterhead. Information must include owner(s) name, vehicle description: year, make, identification number, state the loan has been paid in full or there is no interest in the vehicle and signed by authorized agent.
If the date of the loan is more than ten years old, and you have difficulty obtaining a letter of lien release, (out of business, change name, etc.) you must complete a completed Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit (form H-115) in lieu of the lien release.
Legal Representative must include documentation: (i.e.: power of attorney or probate with proper identification required)
Ownership Transfer in Absence of Title:
If you have misplaced your title and you are selling your vehicle to a Connecticut resident, you may:
- Fill out Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B).
- Must also include an Original Connecticut DMV Supplemental Assignment of Ownership Form (Q1 form). This form is also available at your local DMV office.
- Transfer of ownership will not be valid unless form Q1 Supplemental Assignment of Ownership is included.
- If lien holder is listed on the title, lien release letter needs to be provided.