New online services are now available: driver’s license/non-driver ID renewals, duplicate driver’s license/non-driver ID, and driving history requests. Return to our homepage.

Suspension For Unpaid Ticket


If you are issued a ticket in Connecticut or any other state and you fail to answer the ticket by the due date, miss a scheduled court date or miss a court imposed deadline, the court or out-of-state jurisdiction will request DMV to suspend your license privilege.

A suspension notice will be mailed to the address on record with the effective date of suspension, citation number and the court’s telephone number. Click here for a list of courts in the Connecticut Judicial Directory.

To avoid the suspension, you must reopen your case before the date of suspension. You may reopen the docket and pay the fine, or you may reopen the docket and schedule a new court date.

Connecticut Tickets:
The Superior Court will notify DMV that your ticket has been reopened.

Out-of-State Tickets:
You must obtain a court receipt or other documentation from the court that indicates the ticket number and the date the ticket was answered and/or satisfied. Email a copy of the court document to or you may send a copy by mail to the address below.

All court fees and fines must be paid directly to the court involved.

If the ticket is reopened before the suspension date, the suspension will be rescinded and removed from your record.

If the ticket is reopened on or after the suspension date, you must pay restoration fee of $175.00. The restoration fee may be paid online or by mail with a check or money order payable to “DMV”. 

For mail correspondence, please clearly print your name, date of birth, and current address on all documents and mail it to:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Normal processing time is 10 business days from the date that your correspondence is received. After you are reinstated, a restoration notice will be mailed to you.

Please note: You are not permitted to drive a motor vehicle until your driving privilege is restored and you have a valid driver license or learner permit in your possession.

Helpful Links