The DMV offers "sample" Connecticut registration plates for sale to the general public. All samples will consist of one plate with the word "sample" stamped where the marker number usually appears. Most styles of currently issued plates are available. The fee for each sample plate is $25 and a Copy Records Request (form J-23) should be used for the request.
To obtain a Sample plate:
- Complete Section 5 (miscellaneous request) of Copy Records Request (form J-23).
- Indicate that you are requesting a sample plate and be sure to include the style plate(s) you are looking for.
- Fill in quantity box with number of plates requested.
- The unit price box would be $25.
- The total amount would be the total number of plates ordered times $25.
- Be sure to complete the address box at the bottom of the form with your mailing address and return the completed form and fee to:
Copy Records Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-0503